1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Fresh Ideas for MASC Meetings

Discussion in 'MASC Events' started by MuralReef, Oct 22, 2017.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

What kinds of meetings would you like to see in the future? Here are some ideas we brainstormed yesterday.
    • Meetings at members homes
    • Meeting with a behind the scenes tour of the Downtown Aquarium
    • Used equipment swap meet
    • Broncos game party
    • Picnic
    • Holiday party
    • LFS Poker Run
    • Member tank tour
    • Annual auction/grow out contest kick starter
    • Tank build contest and viewing
    Which of the above ideas do you like? What didn’t we think of that you would like to see us start? Are there any other traditions in other clubs that you are familiar with that would increase our participation?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Ghxst likes this.
  2. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I would love a behind the scenes tour of the aquarium. Also it would be coot to maybe also do a tank tour of a few reefs in the local area. Like going and seeing a few reefs in thornton and Broomfield. Then Highlands Ranch amd littleton etc. (like scmas).

3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Behind the scenes at the aquarium would be fun. Tank tour would be cool too.

4. Robbiekrause33

Robbiekrause33 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

If we need a spot for a swap meet/DBTC I might have the perfect spot no tank but could be a great meeting area

5. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

How about a LFS run, kinda like a poker run, pick an area and visit all of the LFS with door prizes and maybe prizes for the person that visits the most LFS in one day?

6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Fish store run would be awesome! Something fun like tickets for every store visited and meet up at a home for a raffle and some drinks and such.

Off The Deep End likes this.
  7. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

This sounds awesome!

8. Mccoc033

Mccoc033 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Like a LFS Poker run

9. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I like the tickets idea!

10. Irishman

Irishman Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

I’m down with the Aquarium tour

11. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Updated post. Keep the ideas coming.

12. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Not something that we have ever really discussed before but how about an auction, I know both Colorado Aquarium Society and Rocky Mountain Cichlid association have twice yearly auctions

Ghxst likes this.
  13. Smiley

Smiley Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

was thinking we could do a tidepool meeting but then i remembered this is colorado...

14. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

You driving?

15. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

I’d love the Denver Aquarium behind the scenes tour.

I also like the idea of a tour of area tanks. Maybe one month North end one month South end? In Washington, we had similar events and it also gave us a chance to see a few tanks not in public space or private homes that we normally wouldn’t get the chance to see (businesses with private displays?) If anyone knows of tanks that fit that description and you have the connections to make it happen.

Garage sale.

A few random ideas:

Educational workshop series where we can hone our skills and learn new ones. These are good for new reefers and experienced as well. We all get stuck in our DIY traditions. Acrylic, plumbing, lighting, building a stand....

Possibly incorporate the DIY series into building an entire reef or fish only system composed of donated items and donate it at the end to a children’s hospital or something similar. Use your imagination. Good PR for MASC and a good cause if we could make it a reality. I guess the question is who will do the maintenance on the tank long term. It’s just a crazy idea. I would donate some equipment to the cause to make it happen.

16. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I like the idea of the garage sale and maybe hold a frag auction or swap at the same time.

If you want to hold a summer BBQ / fundraiser, I have the equipment. Can easily cook for up to 500, and higher than that with some help.

17. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I like the Aquarium idea, also liked the idea of renting a double decker bus, or even the pedal'in beer stand, to go around town, see members tanks, and LFS as a big group. Would need to wait till next summer for that, but think it would be a good time

I like Halmus's DIY series of meeting too. That could be alot of fun and great way to spread info and teach others.

18. scchase

For the DIY series what do people want to see? I have put on several in the past including building frag tanks.

19. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Halmus diy on patience

TheRealChrisBrown and halmus like this.
  20. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I think it might be fun to do a project build as a club. Maybe a 40b build or something, and do the thing 100% from the ground up: Stand, tank, plumbing, lights, electrical ect... Would take us many meetings over a year or so to get it built I think, but we could each contribute our own DIY skills and learn from others too. At the end of it we could raffle the whole system to one lucky club member who participated in the build.

Fourthwind, Robbiekrause33 and mbjnt like this.