Got Rock?? Free rock in Highlands Ranch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Greetings,

I have several buckets full of rock that has been used in a variety of systems over the years. Florida, Tonga, Fiji, Branch... it's all in there. Many of the rocks have been sun bleached, so what was once pink/purple coralline is now white. These are from some of my old systems as well as from friends tanks: Jake Adams, Gary Dodge and Karl Seller. I have more rock than I could ever need, so if you need rock, come on by and grab a bucket or two. The buckets are sitting in front of the garage. Stop by at your convenience. I'm happy to put a placeholder on a bucket for you.

If you find that you no longer need it, please pass it on to a friend. I'd hate to see this show up here or on Craigslist for sale. That's just not good reefing karma.

I'll update the post when the rock is gone. 9139 Princeton St, HR 80130.

tempImagelzs9Pa.png tempImageMB2U54.png tempImagegTJyJc.png tempImagesPfjDp.png tempImage1PzwiT.png tempImagelVTF9k.png

Last edited:

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could I come by tomorrow about 11 and pick up a bucket?
Yes... they are sitting in front of the garage. I placed a sign with your name on a bucket should others stop by prior. You of course can choose another bucket should multiples remain. Stop by at your convenience.

Last edited:

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, Thank you. Any idea of coper was used with any of it?
It's always possible that rock could have been exposed to treatments like copper or formalin etc. There is a mistaken belief in the hobby that once rock has been exposed to copper that it can no longer be used in a reef tank. It is true that copper, particularly ionic copper, binds to calcium carbonate among other items found in aquariums. We tend to use chelated copper treatments, which has a slower uptake. Several of these pieces have been in and out of tanks for more than 30 years.

Randy Holmes-Farley, a much more knowledgable individual than myself, has stated that copper does not adsorb (release into the aquarium) from calcium carbonate at a rate that would typically exceed natural seawater levels. So while it may be bound up in the rock, it will not suddenly release into the water causing toxic levels for the reef inhabitants (read corals). Craig Bingman, another very smart individual, has shared similar comments. I'll trust the PhD chemists (Farley) and Biochemists (Bingman) over the unproven conventional wisdom of the average hobbyists anecdotal comments. :)

Last edited:

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
4 buckets and the large piece remain.....

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not that this matters much, but I would reuse rock that was known to be in copper. The risks are just not that large. Even if some unbinds, it will just bind again to some organics and get skimmed out or other aragonite. What amazes me with all of this is that nobody knows what their mined dead/dry rock was exposed to before it was broken up and collected - it could have been a lot worse than copper. :)

This is a nice offer for the community. If nobody else wants this, I will come and get it in a few weeks, put it in one of my tubs and make it live again. I want to give others a chance since I have more rock than I need but also hate to see it go to waste.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not that this matters much, but I would reuse rock that was known to be in copper. The risks are just not that large. Even if some unbinds, it will just bind again to some organics and get skimmed out or other aragonite. What amazes me with all of this is that nobody knows what their mined dead/dry rock was exposed to before it was broken up and collected - it could have been a lot worse than copper. :)

This is a nice offer for the community. If nobody else wants this, I will come and get it in a few weeks, put it in one of my tubs and make it live again. I want to give others a chance since I have more rock than I need but also hate to see it go to waste.
Indeed. I honestly don't know if it was ever in a tank with copper. But as pointed out, it doesn't matter. Unless someone plans on running their tank at the same pH as their calcium reactor, the rock isn't going to be doing much other than growing bacteria and coralline algae but hopefully not hair algae or xenia! :)

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still have some? I can come get a bucket or two for my tank as my kids took all mine lol
Yep. Still 4 buckets and a big piece waiting for someone to enjoy.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two buckets plus the large piece remain. Come on by. Thanks to those who found a good use for this.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's all gone....

Status
Not open for further replies.