1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Guess what I dove with today?

Discussion in 'SCUBA Discussion' started by halmus, Oct 16, 2019.

1. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

[​IMG]

SynDen and Andrew_bram like this.
  2. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

That’s awesome! Did he come up anymore or how close were you able to get?

3. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

So cool. Were you the one taking the picture or are you in the picture? Where was this dive?

4. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Lucky bastard! That's one I have always wanted to dive with

5. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

[​IMG]

Cake_Boss and SynDen like this.
  6. halmus

We have a marine biologist onboard that said “he” is a “she”. :)

We had just tied up to another boat on the reef and were getting ready to go in to look at the Acro field when someone shouted “WHALE SHARK!!!”

Everyone including our guide ditched what they were doing and jumped in. Luckily, I was ready to go and just pitched over backwards.

I got within 30ft. Could have gotten closer but didn’t want to spook it and didn’t want to burn through too much air. It swung around that diver in the pic and kinda hung around for a bit before it got bored with us.

JuanGutz likes this.
  7. halmus

I’m actually not in the pic and didn’t take it. We’re on the GBR right now. Three days on the boat.

Quite a few days on either end stuck on dry land or in the air.

8. halmus

Everyone had to explain to me later how lucky we were to see it!

I don’t want to document too much online, but this particular dive was going to be a once in a lifetime dive anyway before seeing the shark. I was scheduled to go out with a second group but one guy couldn’t get his “stuff” together and I was sitting there cooking in my wetsuit ready to go. So they swapped us out.

JuanGutz and SynDen like this.
  9. crisc

crisc Cuttle Fish Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

That is awesome! Any pics of the acros???

10. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

So cool. That’s on my bucket list for sure! Enjoy your trip!

11. halmus

I’ll post some up as soon as we get the “Dropbox” set up. I went pretty low-tech in this trip and have to depend on others with their multiple go-pro’s, drones, and marine grade R2D2 diving rigs.

The acro fields were amazing! A lot of unique environments from walls getting smashed with current to more calm lagoons. My favorite coral on the trip was a giant blue/teal Acro. I want to call it a staghorn but don’t know if that’s accurate.

For now, here’s a mini colony of yellow scroll I ran across. There was a ravine filled with this and we were right at the lower end.

[​IMG]