1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Have you seen any good black Friday deals?

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Nov 26, 2019.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Of course it counts! Which model was it?

2. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

24-2. There has been a 36 for sale for a long time on Craigslist, but it will not fit under my stand or else it would have been gone already.

3. Rigo07

Rigo07 Prawn

I got brand new apex saved my self some money I’m going to be selling my older apex with a lot of extras ones the new one arrives for cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I bought some new T5 bulbs on Cyber Monday. I'm going to replace the Coral Plus bulbs I was using with some true actinics. So I'll be running 2 of the Blue Plus, and 2 of the True Actinic for 12 hours a day. With the MH running 14k Phoenix running for 4.5 hours in the middle of the day.

5. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

I need to setup my 2 part, haven't bought yet, any recommended brands?

6. TheRealChrisBrown

I like the BRS 2 part kit (15% off through today) I've found their dosing pumps to be solid, and their dry mixes are easy to figure out. I eventually went to the Apex Dos, which is very precise and probably easier to setup. But you still have to mix all the dry powders to make the solutions for Cal, Alk, and Mag. I think I started with the B-ionic solutions, which were premixed, just fill with RO water. But the BRS was cheaper and their powders are easy enough to figure out.

7. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

Ive had a dos just sitting in the box for too many months... not sure why 2 part scares me, but I just need to get it done

8. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

2 part is easy peasy

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

9. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Two part with the DoS has been a great combo for me.

scmountain likes this.
  10. TheRealChrisBrown

Two part with the Dos is great, "Why yes I do need to dose 25.7 mL.....why the extra .7?......because I can!" Those were my exact words. lol

11. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

If you’re not doing two part, what are you doing?

12. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

drinking beer!
    my ATO is actually weakly mixed salt water so that I try to replenish minerals, and 20% WC bi-weekly

13. TheRealChrisBrown

You could always set the Dos to do auto water changes?

14. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

that was the OG plan, but after a lot more research 2 part(plus magnesium) might be the best option

15. flagg37

How do you control and keep stable consistent salinity? Even just a little extra salt in your ato will start to increase your salinity. If it’s enough to make a difference in your alk and ca then it’s enough to make a difference in your salinity.

16. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Why would u put salt in ato?

17. flagg37

I think he was doing it to try and keep his alk and ca from dropping so much in between water changes.

scmountain likes this.
  18. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Why not add Kalk don’t think salt in ato is a good idea. Will continue to raise levels.

19. flagg37

Agreed. Kalk would be a more suitable option.

20. scmountain

scmountain Copepod

I used to dose kalk and had some problems, I know my hypo-saline top off isnt the best answer. (hence owning a DOS)