Hello From Parker

TheSkipper

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a great resource and I have learned a lot just reading. I have a 75 gallon tank with a sump. I just started it up a few weeks ago. I picked it used with live rock and sand; going OK so far. I think I have only made 10-15 mistakes so far.

Not sure I can ask a lot of questions yet. I need to get up on all the lingo and acronyms. If anybody is coming out for Parker Days this coming weekend and would like to look in on me and the tank and give me some suggestions - I would love that! Of course finances are tight and want to make sure I spend money on the right things first.

Looking forward to working with this group.
Thanks

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

TheSkipper

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks - that will help - bookmarked it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheSkipper said:
Thanks - that will help - bookmarked it.
I'm across from southlands so if you need help I can lend a hand or come by in the next week or so. Have you tested nitrates yet to see if the cycle is getting close? I guess there are questions first. How long has it been running? Size? You sand sand and rock are in there? Did u use live rock or live sand?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSkipper

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks

It has been running for 2 weeks.
Nitrates were at zero when last tested 2 days ago.
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Size - 75 gallons, 30 gal Sump. Started with Live Rock and Live sand from previous owner. Just added some Chaeto to the sump over the weekend.

Water is now a little cloudy and have brown algae on the rocks and sand. Of course I found this site just a few days ago so up until then I thought I was doing well. I used regular tap water to fill it so I guess that was about mistake #7.

[attachment=61779:name]

Also probably got to excited added some livestock before I should have.

Welcome! I live right near park meadows, so I'm nearby as well if you need help with anything!

That brown algae is called the "diatom bloom". It's alright. Very common in new tanks.