Help: high calcium and low alkalinity (broken timer)

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
This morning while doing my monthly water testing found my water parameters were off. My calcium: 600ppm and my alkalinity: 4dKH.

After a cursing fit, I found that my piece of junk digital timer had broken on my alkalinity dosing pump (not sure how long it was busted for), but last month things were in okay shape (Calcium:390ppm and Alalinity:9dKH, at which point I bumped my calcium dose). Luckily everything in the tank seems okay, though my montiporas are showing some signs of stress (some STN :( )....and now I know why.

Anyone have any advice? I've dosed 100ml of Alkalinity, and plan on doing daily checks this week until I get the params back in shape.

Lesson learned, don't buy one of these (they will break within a few months):

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/631/

Misc params:
100Gal
8.3pH
5 nitrate
etc.

Any help, further advice would be appreciated.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You got it, just dose alk no ca until your params are back in order. The alk dosing will inevitably bring the ca down as it raises.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You got it just dose alk till they level out, make sure to match your mag while they level out as it might lower like a mofo during the process.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would highly suggest that you change a lot of water. Even if you dose alk, it will likely precipitate out of the solution since the calcium is so high. You need to get the calcium down as well as get the alk up. Use a higher alk, lower calcium salt like Instant Ocean, or the like.

Drip or slow stream the new water in, if you can, and add it over an hour, or so.

I would do 10-20% water change a day until you get the alk above 7. Plus, water changes are never a bad thing...

With the alk so low, you also stand a higher risk for PH swings which can crash your tank in a hurry.

This is a great article written by one of the best. See #4 in the intro for a summary of your issue, but keep reading for all that you need to know:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.php