1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Help me choose a return pump!

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by ianryd, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ianryd

ianryd Copepod

In efforts to maintain stability I've decided to add a 10 gallon, 3 chamber refugium sump to my 20 gallon nem tank. I will be using an overflow box rated at 200gph. My head height is about 40". I'm looking at these return pumps-Sicce Syncra 1.0 and Eheim Compaction 1000. Another option is the Current USA 6009, (I have the loop system for my powerhead) but the minimum gph is 210. I suppose I could run a T back to the sump inlet for an overpowered pump. I'd like to keep it under $100. If there are any other pumps anyone would recommend let me know thanks!

2. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Sicce is a great pump I’d go w the 2.0 if I was you.

ianryd likes this.
  3. ianryd

ianryd Copepod

So that pump has a max flow of 568, should I be looking at pumps in this flow range instead? Is it better to have more flow than needed and just run a T with a valve back to the sump inlet?

4. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

If it’s too much then ya runs t to split the flow. I have one running in my frag tank and it’s only 15 gallons.

5. ianryd

ianryd Copepod

Awesome thanks for the advice!

Haddonisreef likes this.
  6. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Sicces have a dial on the pump that you can use to turn down the flow if its to much

ianryd likes this.
  7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’ve run a sicce for just over a year. Very very quiet and has been reliable... at least for a year. Impeller looked perfect when I took it apart to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Haddonisreef likes this.
  8. ianryd

ianryd Copepod

I ended up going with the Hydor Seltz D 500. Nice little pump so far. Has a slight audible hum, but not too loud. Im running it at 60% and its keeping up just right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app