Help the old new guy out.

Dreamer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone,

I could use some of everyone expertise. I have a 29 gal mirrored flat back hex tank older but I really like the mirrored back ground as I can see both in front and the back of the tank. I have a Pro Clear wet dry trickle filter with bio balls a quiet one 2200 pump. I also have a deep bed plentum 3/4\" tank wide dead space with 4-5\" sand and argonite bed. 20lbs live rock 16lbs base 20 or so yellow polyps, 20 watermelon mushrooms. A wild patch of green star polyps that just grew up out of the live rock. A lawnmower blennie, a peppermint shrimp a arrow crab and finally a sea hare. Lighting is 150 MH 14k no named bulb and 2 39 watt T5 Atinics no name bulbs as well.

I first experienced a huge growth of algae (set tank up with tap water (ooopps) not a mistake I\'ll ever make again. Well that is finally coming under control (thanks to maniac Sea hare)

I have a seaclone Protien skimmer but not using it. Per this advice of LFS.

Water is awesome super clear all tests at optimal. All animals are growing both inverts and fish.

With this setup what pitfalls am I headed for? What should I do different from what I have done so far? Is there additional equipment I really need?

Please respond and help a new member out. Advice given from Sales person is all ways suspect and it all I have to go on so far.

In your debt.
Dreamer

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:Help the old new guy out.

I\'m always a fan of skimmers. Some people have success without them. Most people would agree that they are a valuable piece of equipment though - especially at times when your tank is challenged by a loss of an animal. This is especially true in smaller systems with limited water volumes to dilute pollutants. I would re-install the skimmer and learn how to make good skimmate (it takes practice). Here\'s a good link to advice from Steven Pro...http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554786

Wet/dry filters used to be the norm. These days they have fallen out of favor for a variety of reasons. For one, they compete with the live rock and more natural processes that accompany the ecosystem (ie. they can be viewed, loosely, as too efficient).

Phosphates will almost always be the limiting nutrient in terms of algal growth. Avoid the old train of thought that nitrates are the limiting nutrient. Try your best to keep phosphate inputs down (see JontheFB\'s recent advice posted here in the MASC reef discussion forum). Just because you don\'t find phosphates in your water doesn\'t mean they aren\'t there. Your algae bloom could be utilizing them at the rate they are made available in the system. Keep your water changes up (with RO/DI water!) and trim back your algae as often as possible until the bloom goes away. You can also add some form of iron oxide to absorb the phosphates out of the water. It is sold under many trade names. To start your research, look up anything you can find about phosphate reactors.

Cheers to a successful reef and welcome to the MASC!
Mike

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Here\'s a link to Jon\'s phosphate notes.

http://www.marinecolorado.org/mambo...mpleboard&Itemid=56&func=view&id=944&catid=17

---edit---

Lastly - definitely pay attention to your calcium and alkalinity (and to a lesser extent, for now, your magnesium). These articles, which have been assembled by Del, contain some of the best calc/alk information available on the web.
http://www.marinecolorado.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=36&Itemid=23

Post edited by: miwoodar, at: 2007/10/15 21:29

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

i agree totally with miwoodar about the skimmer. Sure the seaclone isnt the best of the bunch, but you have it so why not use it? If you set it correctly youll pull a ton of nastyness out of the water, which would otherwise be hanging about!

Regardless of what you hear about wet dry filters, they do work at nutrient export, just not as well as other means of filtration. The biggest issue is maintaining your wet dry filter. Many of the shops that sell wet drys never tell you how to service them correctly. You absolutely must rinse a portion of the bio balls out every so often. The reasoning is this: Bio balls work great for bacterial colonization because they have soooo much surface area to them, HOWEVER, their design can also be their downfall. Because they are so pokey and porous, they also tend to collect large amounts of detritus, which will eventually become a nitrate factory in your system. The correct maintenance on a wet dry filter entails taking a portion of the bio balls out every so often ( say every 2-4 weeks) and rinsing them out throughly, but doing so in your OLD aqquarium water. This is where most hobbyists make mistakes. Many people will rinse the balls out in new saltwater or even in freshwater. Doing this can result in the death of the bacterial colonies on the balls, and the possible re-cycling of your aquarium. This is why it is absolutely important to do the rinsing with OLD aquarium water. By old aquarium water i mean water that you would drain out of the tank during a water change. Cleaning the balls works most efficently when timed with a water change, and is usually most convenient for the aquarist. Keep churning through your stack of bio balls, and clean a nice chunk out every so often, and you will keep your filter in prome condition.

Other than that you sound like you have a great set up! Hope this was of some help!
cheers~!
jon

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp

Even better than cleaning the Bioballs is religiously cleaning the prefilter sponge and filter pad. Rinse them out once to twice a week and build up on the bioballs themselves usually doesn\'t become an issue.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Dreamer - how\'s your tank going?

Dreamer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Wow sorry I missed your reply to this thread. It going slow but sure. I like how it is progressing. I still need a clam and justa couple more corals ( hmmm well thats what I tell the wife) So if anyone has any frags they need a home for plz let me know.

Post edited by: dreamer, at: 2007/12/06 16:43

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank...

I have a few laying around. Will you be at the x-mas party?

Dreamer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Mike,

I am unsure at this point. Father-in-law is at the Mayo Clinic. He has end stage cancer. They removed his bladder and prostrate. Resectioned his colon to make a Stoma (not sure on spelling). Earlier this week we just got him back home today. Well not home really in a Nursing home to help with recovery. He lives in Duluth, Minnesota. So kind of hard to get anything done being so far away and all. If it is possible a could you shoot me a email? Maybe we can set up a meeting or something.

I posted a couple of pictures of my tank on photobucket here is a link.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/dreamer6381/Aquarium/
Please let me know what you guys think!

Mark

Post edited by: dreamer, at: 2007/12/06 22:00

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Mark - sorry to hear such news. I hope that everything turns out well. Best of luck.

I don\'t see your e-mail. You can contact me at miwoodar@yahoo.com and we can set something up.

Regards,
Mike

Hi There,I am agree with your post.I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy, look at the date, the last post was from 2007. Thats like 4 years! Not to be rude but i think the thread is kinda dead.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
BOT !!!!!!!!!!!

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm...she seems nice and not too bright to boot..Got pics? =)