High alk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My alk dose pump got stuck on last weekend and pegged at 16.9 I brought it down over 8 hrs. Question is should I still be seeing deaths from this? It's been at 9 all week. But I'm still loosing hammers, frogspawns left and right but everything else seems fine for now.

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
How low did you bring it. 8 hrs is pretty quick for anything over .5-1 dkh I would think. I turned my pumps off to get a better feel for what my tank comsumes, only meant for 1 day but let it go 3 any I'm feeling the pain in some bigger colonies.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I was told to bring it down to 13 over 8 hrs slowly and leave it for a few days and bring it down daily 1 pt. Did that and now I'm still loosing stuff daily.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like a good plan... How are you other params? I'd imagine the die off is causing water issues...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
High alk

09bumblebee;236287 said:
Well I was told to bring it down to 13 over 8 hrs slowly and leave it for a few days and bring it down daily 1 pt. Did that and now I'm still loosing stuff daily.
One thing I noticed when losing euphylia is that they will snowball on big colonies. If one head dies it will kill the other heads around it. I had to frag a hammer when it was dying to save the last 2 heads. Also have you pulled and dipped anything in lugols?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No dipping just hoping for the best. I haven't cut any dead back but probly should. Other parameters are perfect. 0 phos and nitrates are 5

Jack I think you are correct about my colonies. I've had a colony of 20+ heads of course it's my nicest piece I've had for 2 1/2 yrs now half gone in a matter of days.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlo25

Turbo Snail
How did this end up, still having die off? I just had the same thing happen a month ago. I think my tank is finally stabilized, just fighting the algae from the die off issues now. Only thing that survived was a Dendro, one pink zipper and half my frogspawn, which still probably wont make it. Also, how is your sand mine got pretty hard in a few places. I feel your pain about losing the corals, I'm pretty bummed probably going to stick to a more simple softie tank now.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks as if things have stopped dieing. Although everything is still mad not opening. I haven't checked my sand yet. Hopefully not to bad since I caught it quickly. Lost alot of colonies and they are still loosing heads. I even cut the dead out and it seems like they just know what happened. Lost all my ricordia's, acans, alot of euphilia. Still undecided if its going to stay running. I'm just over it at this point.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Damn Brian, sorry to hear. I have no insight for you other than cutting away the dead on your LPS, I had a similiar issue and lost half of my canycanes and acans, I was able to save them by removing the dead portions and moving what was left into QT until I got the tank situated again, I did however lose 90% of my SPS and still havent decided if Im going to be adding anymore SPS. Really sux to lose those slow growing colonies.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The one I'm most mad about is my 100+ head of blastos. And a huge bright pink birdsnest. Toon yrs to grow that size. Not me that grew them from babies but were my fav. Pieces.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
High alk

Sorry to hear about this. It could happen to anybody which is super scary. I'll frag ya anything from my tank you want, mostly sticks though. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys very generous but I'm going to give it a month to make sure everything is ok.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: High alk

You know where to find me :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there precipitation in the tank? I went through my dosing pumps sticking on and it caused precipitation in my tank. When this happened for me I did a 40% change immediately bringing alk down from 17 to 10 and I actually didn't lose anything surprisingly enough. I don't know if maybe the precipitation kept the dissolved alk low enough that the water change didn't nuke everything. I even had 2 acro frags and a clam make it through. I know we can't go back, but at least for me the big water change worked well as opposed to doing the gradual changes. Just my 2 cents for the next person it happens to :ambivalence:.