how to lower salinity

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My salinity its on 1.028 I want to lower it to 1.024 how much fresh water do I have to add. I have a 20 gallon tank :noidea:

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it was me I would just lower it as I do water changes. Just mix your water to your desired SG and change out your normal amount for a w/c and reduce it that way.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thanks kio707 do I have to do it slowly?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would drip freshwater to slowly lower it, but thats just me

AllysonP

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i keep my salinity at 1.026 personally. but i lower mine by doing water changes. i will keep the salinity low in the water i am getting ready to add to the tank, but in the future if your [FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]salinty is real high and you want to bring it down, you need to do it slowly, just to make sure you dont send anything into shock. but you are not far off from you wanna be. [/FONT]

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
how to lower salinity

I usually let my ATO drip freshwater as well. Ill just let it fill up, then ill scoop a cup or gallon of water out and let the ATO drip some more. It's a nice small water change and slow salinity change. I had to do it once on the 40 when I added an extra scoop of salt to the change water and it took 2 days to go from 1.029 to 1.026 via this method.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just dip out a 32oz cup and pour in a the same cup full of RO water. Do it once in the AM and once in the PM and you will be good in a few days.