ID these bugs please

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a crap ton of these "pods" in my frag tank. Everything is closing up! I have no idea where they came from nor do I know if they're good or bad but they are all over my frags and not letting them open. Sorry for the bad pic. Best I could do with my lens.

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Isopods?

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Badgervet;175297 said:
I don't know much about them except I ran across a few links in the past regarding tank parasites. I did look up a recent link thought:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php
The opening line is great...

" Reef aquarium keeping,the hobby where beautiful animals live in artful simulations of nature and provide enjoyment and pleasure for their owners,as long as those beautiful animals are well fed... by feeding on the life blood of those same reef keepers."

Gabe I had something similar in my tank but the population was decimated by my wrasses...have you tried one yet? Thought I remember you considering a yellow coris a while back.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Anyone read all the way to the bottom of that article? Ageids - large parasitic isopod that eats the fins then enters the body of fish consuming everything but the bones and guts...NO THANKS

also "About 15 years ago, I had a student who was holding in her clenched hand a 1.5 inch long Aegid. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her vocal response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove!"

​NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE...if I find one of these in my tank I am burning my house down.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
cant do a wrasse it will jump out of the frag tank. I have a wrasse in my DP but I wont be able to catch that