Rock crab?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had a hitchhiker crab come in through an algae pack a few years ago. Someone once called it a “rock crab”.

He’s grown from the size of a dime to about 2”. He’s in my fuge and is starting to dig around too much. I would hesitate putting him in a display because he’s a pig. I think he would eat any fish he could get ahold of although he’s been with some cardinals for years and hasn’t caught them yet.

Anyone interested? Or should I break out the butter, garlic, and lemon?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If it is a rock crab, he could make for some tasty eats once he gets a little bigger

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’ll try to get a pic.

Yesterday, I went to feed it (cocktail shrimp) and he didn’t appear from any of his caves. He might be molting or he might have climbed out of the tank and is wandering around my basement. It’s happened before. I caught him soon enough to get him wet last time and it was a shallow tank. No sign of him today.

If I can catch him and you want to adopt, it’s yours.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I did finally spot the crab. I built a trap for it today. It’s baited tonight. We’ll see if he’s caught by tomorrow. I’ll post pics if I’m successful. I’ll move it to QT where he can be easily gathered later on when it has a new home.

I have plans to modify my fuge over the next few weeks to lower the water line to half-level. I want to create a more ideal environment for mangroves and they’re too close to the lights right now. Maybe I can catch the monster during that process.