Is this enough flow?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am ditching my AC50 and I am making my over overflow with a 20L sump. The pump I will be using is a Rio1700 and the tank surface will be able 3 feet from the sump. I ordered from BRS the bulkheads for the holes. I got the 3/4" bulkheads and the 35mm holesaw. Does that math add up with the account of headloss? Will the holes be able to handle about 300gph??

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Matt make sure you do lots of research on the hole locations for drilling a 20l. I drilled mine with intentions of doing the exact same thing as you. However after drilling and the tank running for 3 days just fine, the week bottom glass cracked and my guess was from the water and wright of the down pipe. So...I would research hole location and I would also make sure you strap all the pipes to eliminate any additional stress on the bulkheads.

Here is my journey http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?15573-CRW-Reef-s-20L-Frag-Tank

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not knowing much about your setup, I'd guess you'll have a total headloss around 4 feet (3 feet elevation and ~1 feet friction). That'd put you at 350 gph according to your pump's curve.

That's really pushing it for a 3/4" drain hole, according to the RC calculator. I'd put a valve on your return line so that you can control the flow and dial it back if necessary.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Always one-size-up a drain line. 3/4 might do 300 once you get a few elbows in it and some slime/algae on the inside. 1" would be better.

As said above, most 20G glass will not withstand drilling - it is just too think. If you have an old school Oceanic, or some custom tank with thicker glass, then it might work out.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is this enough flow?

An I am planning on drilling the sides not the bottom, as I have read horror stories about that haha