It's been a long time

Have been out of the aquarium scene over the last 10-12 years (school/marriage/kids). Used to run 5-6 fresh and salt tanks from 29-150 gallons. As I'm finding out the hobby has changed a lot over the last decade! I'm looking at getting back in to a 125-150 gallon reef set up and came across this site. TIA for all your help and patience with my noob questions.

James

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Welcome back to the madness. and ya alot has changed over the years but all for the better :welcome:

Welcome back! Be sure to share lots of pics when you get your baby going!

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Embrace the madness or run now!

Thank you for the welcome! So after spending hours on here I think I know what I would like to do. I'm leaning towards a 150 gallon acrylic with built in overflow FOWLR tank. I like the 5' x2' size tank and I have the perfect spot for it. I would appreciate some of your input on the following.

1. Lights ( I keep reading about the led vs. t5 set ups. Which do you favor and what type of bulbs would you use for a fowlr set up?)

2. Live rock quarantine ( I think I'm going to use dry rock as my base and then top it off with live rock. What type of quarantine set up do I need with live rock. Is it as simple as a trash can and powerhead, and for how long do I need to quarantine them? Also is there a supplier your prefer to order from? I'm in the springs and prefer to support small businesses if possible. Anyone have a lfs here they prefer?)

3. Fish. What are your favorites and what would you put in a tank like this. My family loves the flame angel and I like the triggers/ tangs/ and angels.

4. Quarantine tank ( after spending time on here it became apparent this was a must so I bought a 40 gallon with wet/dry filtration/stand/canopy from my cousin fro $75. He is missing the u tube that connects the inside box with the outside. Is this something that can be found at a lfs or do I need to make my own. I've also read a simple bio wheel filter is sufficient for a qt so should I just stick with it since it would be less hassle?)

5. I've been being patient trying to find a used system but am growing anxious. I've been on truvu aquariums and fish tank direct and I'm tempted to bite the bullet. Should I remain patient and find the right used or is there anyone that could point me in the right direction for a new.

the information that I've gained here has already been helpful. Thanks and can't wait to get this going.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Triggerfngr;294270 said:
Thank you for the welcome! So after spending hours on here I think I know what I would like to do. I'm leaning towards a 150 gallon acrylic with built in overflow FOWLR tank. I like the 5' x2' size tank and I have the perfect spot for it. I would appreciate some of your input on the following.

1. Lights ( I keep reading about the led vs. t5 set ups. Which do you favor and what type of bulbs would you use for a fowlr set up?) If you are going to keep the tank folwr with a maybe a few softies, I would go with cheap leds myself so you didnt have to replace t5 bulbs

2. Live rock quarantine ( I think I'm going to use dry rock as my base and then top it off with live rock. What type of quarantine set up do I need with live rock. Is it as simple as a trash can and powerhead, and for how long do I need to quarantine them? Also is there a supplier your prefer to order from? I'm in the springs and prefer to support small businesses if possible. Anyone have a lfs here they prefer?) Keep your eyes peeled for rock on Craigslist and our forum as it seems someone is always selling some rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNSssUarA0

3. Fish. What are your favorites and what would you put in a tank like this. My family loves the flame angel and I like the triggers/ tangs/ and angels. I like all the same as you but I might add a eel and a puffer, oh and a lion fish :D

4. Quarantine tank ( after spending time on here it became apparent this was a must so I bought a 40 gallon with wet/dry filtration/stand/canopy from my cousin fro $75. He is missing the u tube that connects the inside box with the outside. Is this something that can be found at a lfs or do I need to make my own. I've also read a simple bio wheel filter is sufficient for a qt so should I just stick with it since it would be less hassle?) Someone on here has to have an extra or a spare U-tube for an overflow just make a thread in the WTS or WTB forum http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?46-Equipment-For-Sale-Trade-or-Want-to-Buy

5. I've been being patient trying to find a used system but am growing anxious. I've been on truvu aquariums and fish tank direct and I'm tempted to bite the bullet. Should I remain patient and find the right used or is there anyone that could point me in the right direction for a new. What size tank are you looking to get? I know there are several sized tanks in the group here for sale, so again maybe post up the size range of tank you are looking for in the WTS or WTB forum http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?46-Equipment-For-Sale-Trade-or-Want-to-Buy- Pending the size I might know someone with several tank sizes (not sure on stands and canopies though) and Im sure you can get a great deal, so PM if you want and we can go from there.

the information that I've gained here has already been helpful. Thanks and can't wait to get this going.
See in Red and Bold - Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: