J's "with fronds like these who needs anemones" 40b Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I might be the luckiest guy here for the day. Working on a 120 build and have had to postpone that as my wife mentioned wanting to have a small tank in the living room for anemones and clownfish.

It's now in writing so she can't change her mind.

Planning on getting a 40b in the $1 sale and drilling the back, already have a 20L for the refuge. Using the stand from the 65 I sold a few months ago with a few updates to it as it's the same footprint as the 65.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lights?

I've always been a metal halide guy even with the hype for LED's but recently had a friend (flyfish) who got 2 Kessil 360WE's over his cube and has had great growth rate for sps that rivals what I was getting from MH a year ago on my 65. I'm mainly going to be housing montiporas with one or two rainbow nem's, and a smattering of zoas.

I'm going back and forth between a 2x150 metal halide setup with phoenix 14k DE [OR] 1 Kessil 360WE [OR] 2 Kessil 160WE. I have always liked open tops and with the smaller height this time around on the 40B wanting to go without a canopy. I have a BRS screen top made and ready to go for the top. Leaning more towards Kessil's for that reason.

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My nems and zoas have loved my kessils a360we . I made the switch from 6 bulb t5 to my kessils and went screen top as well

Punjab

Angel Fish
I'd like to recommend the Maxspect R420R LED light. I'm using the 120w unit on the middle of my tank. On either side I have a 14k 250W HQI with IceCap electronic ballasts and I think the Maxspect LED is growing my SPS a little faster and with significantly better color. I'm considering replacing the halides and the existing 120w fixture with the 6' 300w unit.

They're pretty cheap too!

I think with 150w halides on a standard size 120 you're going to wish more light could reach the bottom.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any recommendations on where to drill? I know it will have to be on the back wall, been looking into glass-holes but not sure what to do about a return. Thinking an overflow box with a drain line and a return line on the back wall with two pieces of glass glued together on the back corner as an overflow.