Just a word of advice!!!

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a tip from some reading I had done.....aim your top off water line to flow onto the switch it will keep salt fron forming not sure how well it works but hey its worth a shot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All of these can, and will, eventually fail. If you are lucky, they will fail to add RO, kalk or 2 part and you won't crash anything. You need to weigh your risk tolerance vs. level of effort. I avoid automation at all costs with only $10 light timers on the lights. Even though it is a bit more work a few days a week, I have never had a tank crash.

The only fail proof auto top off:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;266785 said:
All of these can, and will, eventually fail. If you are lucky, they will fail to add RO, kalk or 2 part and you won't crash anything. You need to weigh your risk tolerance vs. level of effort. I avoid automation at all costs with only $10 light timers on the lights. Even though it is a bit more work a few days a week, I have never had a tank crash.

+100000000000

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
What size tanks do you have that your able to always top off with a bucket? I can tell you this, Id have to hire someone to top off my 180 in this manner. Before I had an ATO, Id top off before I left for work and by the time I got home my return pump was blowing bubbles, my salinity was flucuating way to much, I had to go ATO.

I think the key here is not if its automated or not, they key is diligents. Keep your equipment clean and monitored and these types of issues wont happen. Id much rather take 1/2 hour everyday to check for leaks in the plumbing, check for salt creep, clean my glass, etc, rather than letting it go and ending up spending hours on my days off. Ive learned through do diligents the tank is much easier to maintain, I seem to spend less time on it and am able to enjoy it alot more. I will always have automated systems in my tank, my work load does not allow the time for me to manually do everything, and with this comes the responsibility to make sure all these system are working correctly.

I personally clean all pumps, ATO & skimmer once a week, even if they dont look dirty or appear to have build up, if I said it once here Ive said it a thousand times, Id rather be safe than sorry.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
700 gallon system + a high altitude desert = ato. Buckets?? pfft! Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;266785 said:

Lol mine is prob even worse on my 75....I use a 2.5 gallon fish tank and a JBJ ATO to keep water level stationary. I do however have to fill every 2 days which sometimes is a pain, but hey good excuse to observe and play with the tank right :D

PS. I would never stick a full line of R/O or huge vat of R/O to my ATO, never never never and oh ya never never never lol

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;266886 said:
Lol mine is prob even worse on my 75....I use a 2.5 gallon fish tank and a JBJ ATO to keep water level stationary. I do however have to fill every 2 days which sometimes is a pain, but hey good excuse to observe and play with the tank right :D
+1

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CindyL;266879 said:
700 gallon system + a high altitude desert = ato. Buckets?? pfft! Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
My thoughts exactly

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Minus the 700 gallon system!