Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
I have looked at getting a tortoise in the past. I have not looked at this species. What size are they? How big of a habitat do they need? do they hibernate in the winter? Interested :)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heck, I'd trade one of my kids for it. That thing is cool!

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
It's about the size of a softball. He has never hibernated. He is in a 50 gallon rubbermade tote for the winter. Summertime he roams the backyard. Loves dandelions.

My Leopard Tortoise just died. I had it for about a year, it never caught on to the whole eating/thriving thing. Spent $1300 on vet bills for it, no dice. On the other hand, my Sulcata tort is growing by leaps and bounds. It weighed 3.75 oz when I bought it, now it weighs 18 pounds! She is 13 inches and a grass, dandelion eating pooping machine! She is inside for the winter now, but still eats huge quantities of hay.
Leopard Torts are an awesome species, they don't get huge, about 18", but be prepared for a pet that will probably outlive you! I wish I was closer, I would take this fella off your hands in a second! Whoever gets him won't be sorry.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Sorry about your Leopard Tortoise. Yeah he is super cool, just don't have the time that he needs. Hopefully someone will take him and give him a great home.
bmb527;121216 said:
My Leopard Tortoise just died. I had it for about a year, it never caught on to the whole eating/thriving thing. Spent $1300 on vet bills for it, no dice. On the other hand, my Sulcata tort is growing by leaps and bounds. It weighed 3.75 oz when I bought it, now it weighs 18 pounds! She is 13 inches and a grass, dandelion eating pooping machine! She is inside for the winter now, but still eats huge quantities of hay.
Leopard Torts are an awesome species, they don't get huge, about 18", but be prepared for a pet that will probably outlive you! I wish I was closer, I would take this fella off your hands in a second! Whoever gets him won't be sorry.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Ok so I need to get this guy to a good home. I can't drive because of recent foot surgery so you would have to come to the Springs. I would consider trades. I am looking for the following:

Corals- Maybe depends on what it is.
Fish- Reef safe and colorful.
Anenomes- Depending on Color.
Refugium to fit under my 70 Gallon
Wave Makers
Protein Skimmer

Shoot me some offers. All I can say is no.

bmb527;121216 said:
Arg I wish we still lived in Washington. I have a 90 pound male Sulcata who would love to mate a large female just once in his life. There used to be 2 beautiful big girls in Broomfield but I don't know what happened to them. Sad thing about Sulcatas as soon as they get big and start pooping like horses and ruining homes then people just dump them.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Nice score Aaron. That should go nicely with the rest of your zoo!! Lol.

Pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.