Lighting suggestions

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Looking for ideas on the 24x24x12 frag tank. Dont feel like im getting the best results with leds. Want to hear thoughts on metal halide, t5, power compact. And go!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally like really good LEDs better than T5 or MH, but most people prefer MH for coral growth.

A single bulb fixture should be able to handle a tank that size pretty well. I used to use 2 MH fixtures over my 150 gallon with supplemental T5's just for color.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
t5 LED combo or halide led combo

I would do a 250w 20k radium with reefbrites or 4 bulb t5 with something like a hydra, sol, older gen radion.

Oh and a HUGE NO to power compacts. bulbs are crazy expensive and being phased out.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm also a huge fan of ReefBrite. Cris @ AA talked me into it and I'm happy he did. I run 2X 400s on my DT that are 14K. When it's bulb replacement time I'm going 20K Radion. I'm running an el-cheapo currentUSA actinic blue LED for that bit. I'd go BuildMyLED if you want the best. MH+LED=awesome.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sweat044;346245 said:
That's where I get confused. What brand and such

Well for the halide world:

reflectors: lumenmax, lumen bright or hamilton reflectors are my 3 prefered brands.
Ballasts: Hamilton or Lumatec
Bulbs: 400w SE: 20k radiums or 14k hameltons, 250w SE 20k radium, Guisenman 14.5k megachrome, 14k hamilton, 250w DE 14k phoenix (Hoping and praying they come back in June)

T5 fixtures I would go with ATI or guisenman.