1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Metal halide lighting discussion

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by neil82, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Write to ReefBrite. Their website and at MACNA, they were invested. Perhaps it is a supply chain issue (tarrifs are affecting this stuff, especially from EU) and they can point you to another supplier.

Any pulse start ballast of similar wattage will fire a HQI bulb, but that does not mean that you should do it.

geekengineer likes this.
  2. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

@Legonch is a supplier of reefbrite now.

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  3. JuanGutz

@jda123
    I just received two of these, on them they say 250 DE. I’m hoping to use them with my reef brite but mine are single end. Any chance I can splice the cords plug them into my SE reef brites and use a 250 20k radium bulb?

Attached Files:

neil82 likes this.
  4. jda123

Those are the exact ballast that you need to run 20k Radium. Those are m80 ballasts. If you every don't want those, sell them to me... I use a lot of them and would love to have backups. :) If they ever quit working, they are repairable so don't throw them away. Basically, they are like gold for MH people.

JuanGutz likes this.
  5. JuanGutz

I hit the jack pot! So I can splice cables and using them on my SE ReefBrites?

Dr.DiSilicate and geekengineer like this.
  6. jda123

7. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Score indeed! Where did you happen upon those @JuanGutz ?

geekengineer likes this.
  8. JuanGutz

Co worker had them sitting in his closet and had no use. He also has some ai Vegas I’m trading for coral and a bottle of some whiskey Haha.

9. JuanGutz

I owe him big time now.

10. JuanGutz

This will be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully it’s what I need to use the aqua medic ballast with the reefbrite fixture and cheaper then buying a new RB cord and cutting it.

Attached Files:

geekengineer likes this.
  11. JuanGutz

I’ll be posting up my Reefbrite 400watt ballast for sale soon if anyone is interested.

12. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

No sell them to me

13. jda123

Scott- NO! I was first. Back off!

Yes, those are the cords that you can cut - shrink those after you join them... help a bit with corrosion. If you are super handy, you can take the cover off of the cube and wire in a new outlet to match the RB... if they sell the female sides...there is nothing too complex in there. :)