Moon light

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since walmart started carrying led xmas lights I have been looking for the right set to use for 75 gallon moonlights. This year they had the Holiday Time- LED teeny light set. It is supposed to use 3 C batteries which is 4.5 volts. I pulled it apart and Wired it to a 3volt adapter(kept the in line resistor). $8 and it is almost too much.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Excellent, thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for the right set of leds to use as night lights. Do they have all red or all blue sets?

do the led's flash really fast (60hz or so)? i was toying with the holiday led lights a couple years ago and the flashing they did was too annoying for me. these lights were not sold as flashing lights. they are on "solid" but they flash at the ac current speed of 60hz. you cant really notice until you turn your head or move your eyes and you can subtly pick up the flashing.

led lighting uses dc voltage. to control the intensity of the led you have to change the resistor to lower the output of the led. if you have a a/c to d/c rectifier such as a universal variable power pack. and a adjustable resistor you can eliminate the flicker and control the intensity of the led output. i bought the 3/4 watt moon light that mounts to the coralife lights for about 15.00 at fish palace on Yale between Havana and Parker road. by the time you get all the parts together and assemble with all the time effort and trial and error it seemed cheaper to me just to by one and be done with it. dont get me wrong i am all for the diy but you have to weigh time and parts vs. off the shelf items. as a rule for myself if it costs less the 30 to buy outright i just buy it beacuse searching for part for half an afternoon can cost that much to me in time

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No fluctuation with the DC adapter. I never thought to put them in the reflectors. I didn't like the options from auto dept.

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
be careful I was at tyree's CFM in Dallas this weekend, and Art the guy that is Tyree's partner said half his house burned up beacuse of LED's from a box store.

Just make sure that they can take moisture like the xmas type.

Another good light to use for night lights is a cold cathole light they come in many colors and are voltage adjustable. The company that carries them is mcmelectronics.com they aren't priced bad either.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm new to the hobby and I was looking for a cheep way to make some moonlights. I'm going to try out the Christmas lights idea, I never would have thought of it on my own! Now I just have to figure out how to mount them... :) All I have atm is a dual T5 36" strip. I think it's from Coralife. I'm picking up some egg crate today and I was considering building a hood anyway to keep my two-year old son from sharing his toys and food with the fishies. Anyone know how much a basic wooden hood would cost to make? I was thinking about just using 2x6s or 1x6s and making a box around the outside. Then having it mostly open on the top.