1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Need a starfish ID and to know whether reef/fish safe

Discussion in 'Inverts and other Marine Animals' started by andre, Jun 29, 2018.

1. andre

andre Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Got a fairly big brittle star with some other stuff and want to make sure he's reef/shrimp/fish safe. Saw a few horror stories online of starfish going after small fish. Thanks! IMG_20180628_184231.jpg IMG_20180629_082926.jpg

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I wouldn't keep it unless you have a reasonably large tank (75g or above). Those starfish primarily survive from microfauna in the sand and can easily starve and either pollute the tank or become opportunistic with bottom dwelling fish because of the lack of food in smaller tanks. Haven't heard any horror stories in large tank, but have heard several in smaller ones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

Serpent star should be fine with everything even small fish. Brittles can hunt fish but even in cases where they do they’re usually underfed and forced to find an alternative food source.

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

That's a red serpent star, not a brittle but pretty much the same thing. Ime These guys can be very oportontisc feeders too. Not as bad as green brittle stars but still have potential to go after small fish. Easy targets for these guys are manadrins and scooter dragonets

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I don't know about the reef safe-ness of that star....but it will haunt my dreams! I think it is staring at me in that second pic!

Cherub likes this.