Need advice on a small tank

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I were you I would definitely not put seahorses in anything under a 30 unless they're dwarfs. People think they don't need that much room to swim but they really do. I also have seahorses in a 55 gallon and they are always swimming all over the place. And the tank doesn't really need to be tall it just needs to be two and a half times the length of the adult seahorse.

I would recommend Overkill filtration as well. Seahorses are known for being finicky about their water parameters so good filtration is a must and for me I've found lower salinity like 28 ppt is good for keeping bacterial infections (which seahorses are prone to) to a minimum. as for a tank I would go for a cube or shop around for "the one".

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Suzanne Lynn;213514 said:
What breed of seahorse are they?
They're non-dwarf ones. Yellow. Beyond that, I'm not sure. And I'm definitely concerned about filtration in a tank that small. That's kinda my main focus at this point.

hmm well the breed can be an issue too. kellogi and ingens both grow over a foot long. Theres also some breeds that prefer cooler water temperatures but if you keep it at like 75 it should be good for any breed you could get. I have a 35 gal with a fluval canister filter and so far its perfect. So like I would take what kind of filtration is recommended for a tank the size your looking for and then buy the size up from that. but if you're going with the big deal with a sump and skimmer and what not then I have little to no experience with those.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced smallish tank that's got everything built in. I don't want to try doing a sump, skimmer, etc, for them. Not even entirely sure if it's going to happen at all. If I take too long, they'll get sold, and then I would have to start all over finding a pair that eats well.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. And now that I've revealed the location of the awesomeness... someone's gonna run down there and snatch them out from under my nose. LOL.

ah okay I changed it. Those guys are kuda seahorses I believe, really preety too, but the price was a little hgh when i asked typically those guys are $70/ea online (got a few sites I could give you) and most large varieties eat frozen like champs. Those guys would do great in a cube, always finding nice ones on craigslist or if you want one brand new, foster's and smith seems to have the best price. God I'm a party pooper... lol

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm glad you chimed in. They have them priced at $300 for a pair. Maybe I'll just scratch the whole idea.

:( no don't scratch it!! Seahorses make AMAZING pets because they are very intuitive and learn to take food from your hand I just personally found those particular ones to be on the pricey side. We all could use a new cube anyway :)

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I've never had a tank that small. My current one is a 125. I like that size. Lots of room for error. The tiny tanks are scary to me because there's no room for error.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Easy fix. Setup a 125 for the seahorses. Then you could do a couple pairs of the Kudu sized ones. Heck, you could plumb them both into the same sump and everything.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;213587 said:
Easy fix. Setup a 125 for the seahorses. Then you could do a couple pairs of the Kudu sized ones. Heck, you could plumb them both into the same sump and everything.

Drew

Oh no you don't, Drew. You're not talking me into another 125. No way.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Come on. Right behind your other one, with the sump for both underneath. The backs would face each other. It's a great idea.

Drew

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;213604 said:
Come on. Right behind your other one, with the sump for both underneath. The backs would face each other. It's a great idea.

Drew

I am extremely flattered (I think) at the strength you apparently think I have, if you think I can move an entire 125 gallon tank filled with rock, water, and livestock, and just slide another 125 in behind it. What superhero name would you like to give me?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

No no no. On the floor below, where you were gonna put the sump anyway. Then you'd have tanks in 2 different rooms.

Drew