Need some fish Help

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Ok so something is going on in my tank and I can't figure it out. I have a yellow tang and a tomini tang (they are the largest fish in the tank). They always hide. Even when it is feeding time they swim out get food and hide. Is this normal? The other occupants of the tank are:

2- black clowns
2- PJ cardinals
1- Purple Dottyback
1- Purple Firefish
1-Blue Headed Wrasse

What is going on????​

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
Ok. Dottyback will be coming out. Someone also stated possibly the clowns? I guess I will start eliminating fish until it is better.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
when clowns are of age and ready to spawn they can be very protective of their territory. Especially skunks, cinnamon, and maroons, but black ocellaris are normally more passive.

There also may be other factors... such as how new are the tangs to the tank? They could just be stressed from being in a new place and establishing territory in the rocks. If you haven't seen nips on the fins, or seen them being chased around the tank, I wouldn't start taking fish out just yet.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive got a tank full of tangs, my black clowns never bother any of them, and my black clowns are quite large and spawn regularly. Id say its safe to say its the dottyback as well, depending on the size of the blue headed wrasse, but i have one of those too and hes quite doscile.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
The tangs have been in the tank for about 2 months. The wrasse just swims around in circles at the top. He bothers nobody. The clowns chase the chromis but that is it. Now that I think about it the dottyback pretty much took over one whole side of the tank. (Also do dottybacks eat shrimp? I can't find my pepermint)

SteveT;187498 said:
when clowns are of age and ready to spawn they can be very protective of their territory. Especially skunks, cinnamon, and maroons, but black ocellaris are normally more passive.

There also may be other factors... such as how new are the tangs to the tank? They could just be stressed from being in a new place and establishing territory in the rocks. If you haven't seen nips on the fins, or seen them being chased around the tank, I wouldn't start taking fish out just yet.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Id be willing to say the wrasse ate your shrimp.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah the dotty back is being an @$$ and the wrasse is eating your shrimp, and probably crabs too...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine was the same... Never touched a coral or snail, but crabs and shrimp disappeared all the time and my wrasse was fat and happy...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hAd a damsel that ran my tank... And I had a wrasse, a trigger, 2 tangs, a Benny, and another damsel that were all bigger than him!!