Need to borrow Uv sterilizer

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anybody have the biocube mini uv sterilizer? I need to see if it would fit...just measuring it might barely fit using the measurements on the websiteI don't want to spend a ton on it if it won't work.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got one hooked up on my biocube 29 and it fits. Though I'm guessing you're looking to add it to another tank. IMHO UV sterilizers aren't worth it. I regret my purchase but will use it until I'm out of bulbs and then toss it.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to use it in my nuvo 16. I just needed measurements from the bottom to the center of the top bend. The website says they are 8.5" long, but not sure what they are measuring to.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
As luck would have it, I also have a Nuvo 16 (in addition to my biocube 29). The biocube UV sterilizer is not going to fit (too tall), the issue is the biocube UV sterilizer also needs tubes to couple at both ends and more annoyingly the tubes fall off very easily given the slightest amount of stress or bump. You might be able to wedge it in sideways in the main filter compartment, but I can almost guarantee that you won't be happy with it long term because it's connection mechanism is an awful design.

As a reminder, UV sterilizers are preventative equipment. They won't really help with any pre-existing problem in your tank (ich, marine velvet, algae growth, etc).

If you're just looking to pimp out your Nuvo I'd recommend a protein skimmer over a UV sterilizer. I have this eshopps nano skimmer in mine:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25228

For algae growth, I put an MP10 in my Nuvo which prevents sedimentation which in turn gets filtered out via my skimmer.

I also added a third skylight (which is pretty common).

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm just trying to pimp it out, no current problems with it.

I've done the following to mine: Nuvo 16
(2) 211 gph pumps. (they are shorter than the 211 pump it came with)
(2) spinstreams
(2) 50 watt neo-therm heaters
(2) Innovative Marine Skkye Light Dimmable Dual strip 24", 26 watts
Innovative marine skimmer
intank basket for chaeto

working on getting the following:
uv sterilizer
IM media reactor

I'm really thinking about turning down the returns and picking up an MP10, not sure that I need it though. I'm almost positive that if i picked up a smaller around 100gph pump I could make it fit.