Need your data to help with legitemate LED research.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I just received a great email from Dana Riddle (lucky guy...lives and does his research in Kona) in response to questions about photosynthesis (photosystem I and II) and which wavelengths of light would be beneficial. Since MASC members have recently gained significant experience in converting to LEDs, perhaps we can gather some data (although probably not scientifically collected, but a good place to start) and pictures of corals before and after the LED swtich. I plan to ask him to give me a list of questions for volunteers to answer, and I will post them as a survey or questionnaire on MASC, if the Board will allow. Your answers could help advance the development of marine aquarium lighting.

"I would be most interested in hearing the results of your and others' experiments with different colored LEDs. Your work and observations are important, and could save me and others a lot of time and effort. Would you be willing to share photos/comments?"
"Your email is very timely. As I mentioned, Sanjay [Joshi] has challenged me to 'put up or shut up' about the effects of red light, and I have been formulating the experiment's protocol for some time now.
Just this week, Advanced Aquarists' blog had an article about effects of LEDs and plasma lights on coral health and growth. Tim will forward the article to me soon...And, two days ago, a scientist from Opti-Science offered to ship to me a new meter with the ability to report chlorophyll content in plants and algae. He wants me to test his unit on corals for possible use in advertising. So, I about to push the 'go' button on a project that will likely take months to complete. As I said, your comments and observations are important and I would appreciate your help."

There's more to Dana's email, but I'm saving it for a presentation I'm developing that will serve as the basis for my upcoming DIY LED project. Would anyone be interested in seeing the presentation in the Lighting and Equipment forum? It should be ready this weekend if Dana has time to review it first.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I just switched from 8 bulb t5 to 2 Radions over my main 75G display. Took a bunch of photos of my corals before the switch to see the difference and try and get a feel for growth rate. I have the Reds on my unit ramped from 30-60% durring the light cycle and the greens 5-20%. Its been about a week and all the corals are looking good, some with a little visible growth since the change. I will keep you updated and I can give you more detailed info on my set-up if you need that too....Actually I should probably just start a build thread, all the cool people have build threads lol.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Switching from MH to LED starting tomorrow. I can start documenting as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I forgot to take pics before, but just switched to LEDs and would be willing to give info in a couple months.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Dana emailed last night. What he's really interested in is "any observations of corals 'lightening up' (loosing zoox. or changing pigment content) under lamps with daylight to reddish classifications." I've asked for clarification, because he didn't specify whether he meant LEDs or any daylight/reddish lighting.

Anyway, if anyone has experienced corals 'lightening up' (loosing zoox. or changing pigment content) under lamps with daylight to reddish classifications, post your observations here (pics too) and I'll be sure to let him know.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been using leds for some time now and for about a month (just recently) tried MH ans all my sps turned brown. I switched back and all my sps are coloring up again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;195240 said:
I have been using leds for some time now and for about a month (just recently) tried MH ans all my sps turned brown. I switched back and all my sps are coloring up again.

Hope my lemonade and birdsnest didnt turn brown xD

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That birdnest RTN'd like 3 month's ago. I can get you more through