Nem feeding question

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
How often does a GBTA need to be fed? Once a week sufficient or should I feed it more often? How do you guys break off the silversides without mutilating them? Just curious if anyone has a method that works. I just don't want to over/under feed and was wondering what your experiences were.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nem feeding question

Don't target feed it. Nem's don't need much food. Good lighting and it'll get fed when you feed the tank. If u have a clown, of course it'll feed it too.

David

romebaby

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feed mine almost daily. Silversides & shrimp. Half a silverside to a large nem, about a quarter to the smaller ones.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nem feeding question

I on the other hand don't feed my RBTA's or GBTA. I have success with both. I guess it works for some, but I was always taught not to target feed them.

I dropped mine some food whenever I was feeding the fish, so maybe once a day, Elite reef food, mysis, brine shrimp and whatever else was on the menu. They always had great color and seemed very happy. I've read that they don't need target feeding too - It's up to you.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
My sunburst gets fed everyother day. I feed mine squid and mysis, nem is always happy and bubbly, and great color.

I feed mine whole krill whenever I notice the bubble tips start to deflate. Perks it right up :)

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So my maroon clown quickly adopted the nem and when I tried to feed a bit of silverside the clown picked it out of the nem. Is that normal? I was conducting a demo on Cnidaria and wanted the group to see feeding behavior.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nem feeding question

Yes. Sometimes mine will "chew up" the food and put it back in the nem's mouth. I use to have a pic where my smaller maroon was just sticking its head out the nem's mouth. Lol

David