1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

New Here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Luke, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Luke

Luke Copepod

Hi All!

So I am new to both CO, as well as salt water tanks! I am very excited to begin a long, awesome journey here! It's been my dream for a long time now, to have clown fish! I can now say, that I've finally added them to my tank. :) I've added pictures of them. I have a coralife biocube 32g. tank.
    Where can I find a list of events/meetings here?

20180624_072226.jpg

20180623_114833.jpg

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

3. Luke

Luke Copepod

Thank you!
    What does BTA stand for?
    It's a 32g tank... what kind of light would you recommend? I've been thinking about upgrading from my standard hood lighting, to a different one. I really like the automatic day lights, sun rise, moon rise, etc. settings though.

4. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

BTA stands for bubble tip anemone. And welcome! Great group of people here! Very helpful and generous.

5. zombie

AI prime HD is the most common choice to upgrade the lights. The stock ones can handle zoas and softies but aren't powerful enough for most LPS, nems, or SPS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

6. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Welcome to the club! I would suggest you wait on an anemone until you had some experience with other corals. Nems can be temperamental and do better in established tanks that have had a chance to stabilize.

7. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

Hmm. I hate to disagree but I’ve found the opposite to be true at least for bubble tip anemones. The bta’s that I’ve gotten have all been quite hearty and able to weather a fair amount of swings in regards to water chemistry. I also like to add them first so they have a chance to wander around the rock work and settle into the spot they like best. Then I’ll place my corals a safe distance so they won’t get stung. Of course this doesn’t eliminate the chance that it won’t move again but it does mitigate the risk a bit.

The ai’s are a solid choice but I prefer kessil’s. With your size tank I’d think you could get by just fine with a 160 but I’ve seen 360’s on that size too.

8. zombie

Agreed that nems are pretty hardy, but not the coral you would want to test your toes in so to speak since things can go south a lot easier if a nem croaks than a small zoa colony. Best to wait on that until another coral has survived and grown in size for a couple months.

I prefer kessil too, but the advantage to something like a prime is that it can be retrofitted into the hood, which a lot of people like to keep on. A kessil requires the hood be removed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

9. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey, welcome. It looks like you have a great start! Do your research and go slow. Lots of opinions and help around here! Enjoy! Ask questions when you have them...

10. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

And remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

11. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

12. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Welcome, to CO, the club, and the addiction ;) Got a good start there. Let us know if you have questions or issues. Lots of good people on here to answer questions and help out wherever needed.

13. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Welcome! It looks like you are off to a great start.

14. neil82

neil82 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to the forum. Great group of people here!

15. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

Hey there! Welcome!!!

16. zombie

17. whyamisofly

whyamisofly Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to the insanity!

18. Gabe&Brandi

Gabe&Brandi Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome! I’m new here too and the members have been ultra supportive. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice!

Where ya at in Colorado?