New skimmer! Too powerful?

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;319531 said:
That is exactly what I suspected would happen. The issue as I mentioned earlier is the amount of water volume required by the skimmer in comparison to the sump volume. Leave the return in the far right chamber. That will be the most effective for skimmer efficiency.
I'm confused. The skimmer is running properly after moving the mag pump from the far left (1st chamber) to the middle (2nd chamber) and adding some water. So is this wrong?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The way that sump is designed, water from your tank should come in on the far left, with the skimmer in the middle, and the return all the way to the right. That will keep microbubbles from entering your display and pass the most water through your skimmer. The water level should be unaffected by the move. If it is, then move it back to the way you have it now.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
New skimmer! Too powerful?

Skimmer yes. Sump, as zombie has pointed out, no. The bubble trap should be after the skimmer, not before.

Last edited by a moderator:

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;319538 said:
Skimmer yes. Sump, as zombie has jointed out, no. The bubble trap should be after the skimmer, not before.
Oh I c. So your saying that I should turn my entire sump around if I start getting micro bubbles? As of now I don't see any.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
crustytheclown;319539 said:
Oh I c. So your saying that I should turn my entire sump around if I start getting micro bubbles? As of now I don't see any.
You dont have to physically turn it around. Just move your pumps and hoses so that water comes in from the tank on the 1st chamber (left), and returns to the tank from your return pump in the 3rd chamber (right). It will be really hard to see microbubbles. They are TINY.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;319542 said:
You dont have to physically turn it around. Just move your pumps and hoses so that water comes in from the tank on the 1st chamber (left), and returns to the tank from your return pump in the 3rd chamber (right). It will be really hard to see microbubbles. They are TINY.
That's how its set up now...?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
crustytheclown;319543 said:
That's how its set up now...?
I saw a pump just left of the skimmer in the picture. Is that just a mixing pump? If your return pump is already in the right chamber, then thats exactly how you want it.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;319544 said:
I saw a pump just left of the skimmer in the picture. Is that just a mixing pump? If your return pump is already in the right chamber, then thats exactly how you want it.
That's that's the pump that is running the skimmer.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ooh. Makes a lot more sense now. Now you just gotta dial in the skimmer. Each day turn the valve about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn clockwise until you see a small amount of liquid forming in the collection cup. Once that happens, give it a few weeks and either turn counter clockwise if the liquid gets too clear or clockwise if its too dark or not producing enough liquid for your tastes. I do a dry skim on mine, so I shoot for a thick almost coffee colored skimmate. That would be a good starting point. If you run into high nutrient problems, you can make it more wet and shoot for a tea color.