New to Colorado, not new to the hobby

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hello all-

I've been an active member of the community out here in the Puget Sound for a few years. I had a healthy 120g SPS tank for a number of years. Unfortunately, I dismantled it a few months ago in preparation for my move to Denver.

I wanted to take my time and find good homes for all the animals rather than holding on until the final moment before the move and stress out myself and the coral by giving them to random people that might not be able to care for them.

I still have a year to finish at UW and won't be making the move until next summer, but I thought I would start getting to know the community out there in the mean time. I'm looking forward to building the new display once we're settled in out there. I'm already accumulating sumps, frag tanks, and other equipment now that I don't have the cost of upkeep on my display. My plans for the new system are crazy, but I'll have to see what I have to work with in the new home before I can make plans for the display. Right now, I'm planning around a 4' x 8' x 24" peninsula with an extensive fish/filtration room. Until then, I'm still hosting our local club's coral grow out tank as we accumulate coral for our own local frag swap in Feb. At least I can keep my hands wet. :)

See you guys next year at MACNA! It will be my first, but will make the pain of moving a little easier to bare.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!!! And if you need somewhere to ship coral that you might want to keep figure out who has a frag tank near the area your are moving and you can ship some out to them to hold for you. Great looking tank BTW! I would pay to have some of that purple acropora echinata shipped my way :p

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
PlumCrazy;269067 said:
Welcome welcome!!
Thanks!

sethsolomon;269069 said:
Welcome!!! And if you need somewhere to ship coral that you might want to keep figure out who has a frag tank near the area your are moving and you can ship some out to them to hold for you. Great looking tank BTW! I would pay to have some of that purple acropora echinata shipped my way :p
I took down the tank because the move is going to be very complicated. My wife is moving months ahead of me, then she might be selling the house from under me while I'm waiting to finish my final quarter at UW. I'll have to find somewhere to squat here for a few months while she searches for a new home for us out there. It was all too much to handle with the SPS. They would never survive that chaos. Thanks for the recommendation though, it wasn't easy seeing the coral go.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well when its time to get new sticks hit up Scchase, Jda, or myself up for sticks you're looking for. We are always ordering different sticks from everywhere :p

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Wish my branching decadia grew faster it is slow as dirt for me

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

We look forward to meeting you hopefully help you get back to that wicked awesome sps collection you had!!! Sweet tank for sure!!!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sorry I missed all the posts. I didn't get any notifications that the thread was still active. I ended up having surgery on my foot yesterday which is allowing me a sleepless nigh of catching up on threads.

So, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to the new tank but it will be at LEAST two years before that happens. One year before the move and a minimum of a year build if all goes perfectly. Which it certainly won't. Priority one is getting a job and buying a house we can work with.

On a side note, I just picked up two frag tanks for the future build. Both 4'x2' footprint. One 8" deep and the other is 12" deep 1/2" acrylic. Made by a guy local to us here in Seattle. They're pretty awesome. But they went straight into the storage unit where I'm hoarding all the tanks and sumps for the future system.

With the the broken foot I'm on crutches. But, I made a plywood peg leg I can strap on to my thigh and shin that allow me to walk around my shop without crutches. I even added an articulated spring loaded ankle joint. You should have seen me carrying those new 4' tanks on my temporary leg. It was like a Pink Panther movie clip waiting to happen (if there are any Peter Sellers fans out there).