New to forum and what has changed since we had salt tank 15 yrs ago (everything :)

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone;

Just got set up to use forum. Husband and I have 55 gal Salt and are [waiting] to create a reef tank when all chem's are good. Still seeing the high nitrite though ammonia is perfect so we are learning - patience :( Husband built a refugium and it seems to be doing it's thing - plants, sand, and rock in that. We are about 3 weeks into this. Any other things we should be looking at at this time? Got water from salt store and it tests fine w/ hydrometer. Nitrates went way up, down and then up again. I am told the change will happens fast when it happens....is that your experience?

Deep

First thing, get rid of that hydrometer and get a refractometer then look in to getting your own rodi unit and have your own supply of top off water and the ability to make your own saltwater

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
freedominco;304741 said:
First thing, get rid of that hydrometer and get a refractometer then look in to getting your own rodi unit and have your own supply of top off water and the ability to make your own saltwater
+1 to that, will save you alot of headache. :welcome: back to the madness

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the welcome and also the tips that can save agony. We were able to dodge the "bio-ball" snafu, but had not heard about using a refractometer. I will check into this while I am [patiently] waiting for the tank to cycle :)

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The hydrometers can be very Inaccurate. When I first started my 55, a bunch of my fish died because the salinity was too high but the hydrometer said it was perfect. Order a refractometer from bulk reef supply! And make sure your top off water is fresh water. Just makin sure!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
+1 but fresh RO water for top off, dont use tap. ATO system is also great to have, saves alot of work and helps keep everything stable

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, just realized after the salinity went up that we need RO water on hand for topping off. Appreciate your sharing about the hydrometer - can't afford NOT to have the right equipment if we are going to do well this round.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. Get yourself a refractometer, an RO unit and some test kits for Ca, dkH, and Mg and you should be on track to start a killer setup.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a thread on the forum about my hydrometer, took some water to great white to be tested and my salinity was at 1.033. Got a refractometer the next day from a forum member for free.

IMO one of the best changes since 15 years ago is the community that has been built on this forum. I post here all the time and it's saved me a lot of time researching and a lot of money.

Sent from my typewriter.