1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Nicky J's Reefer 250

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Nick Judson, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Hey everybody getting started on a new tank today. Gonna try and make a nice build thread here to document my progress.

It's a Reefer 250 tank and stand with a Synergy TS26 sump.
    Got it cleaned and plumbed this morning. Now making water to leak test. IMG_1717.jpeg IMG_1715.jpeg IMG_1714.jpeg

Haddonisreef and SynDen like this.
  2. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Welcome! and looks good so far. Looking forward to seeing the progress

3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

What are your plans reef, fish only, anemone tank?

4. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

I'm definitely an anemone guy. The plans is a mix of Digis, Montis, some sticks, Zoas and ideally a centerpiece Ritteri/ Gig.
    Fish wise I've never had skunk clowns before so pair of those plus a dwarf angel and a blenny; maybe a captive bred mandarin if I feel good about my pod situation down the road.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looking great so far! Can't wait to follow the progress.

6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Following along. Love a good build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Any bulkhead experts?
    I installed a new one for the return and it passed my leak test but I think wiggling the pipe to attach the pump I broke the seal and it is now slowly leaking.
    What's my best bet? A little backup silicone??

8. Haddonisreef

Make sure the seal is on the inside of tank and it’s not dry rotted

9. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Found my issue looks like I chipped the glass installing it or maybe removing the old one.

Attached Files:

10. Haddonisreef

Dam is that from the tank?

11. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

sadly yes - not sure what my next move is ... think I could fill that in with some silicone and try installing the bulkhead again?

12. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

actually looking closer the piece is plastic so maybe just part of the old bulkhead

13. Haddonisreef

That would be a blessing!!

14. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Okay I lowered the water level then recleaned and dried the inside of the overflow. Then I installed a new bulkhead with a bit of silicone this time. Gonna run it like this at least 24 hours and let that cure.
    I forgot how long it can take the water to clear after adding sand could be for the best the sump is offline.

15. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Up and running

Attached Files:

16. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

The bulkhead repair is holding? No leaks?

17. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

So far so good. Let water sit in the overflow for a few hours this am and it looked good so I plumbed it back together and turned on the return. This Jebao DVT 6000 is a beast good thing its controllable.

18. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Fully up and running as of 10/14
    I shopped around a ton on Craigslist & Facebook marketplace for most of the equipment then totally splurged on new Radions IMG_1745.jpeg

Equipment List:
    2 Radion X15 G5 Blue
    Ecotech MP40
    Nyos Quantum 120
    Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
    Jebao DCT-6000
    AI Prime 16 Fuge
    400w titanium heater w/ temp probe
    Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt

Next project will be organizing the cabinet / sump area and cleaning up the giant pile of cords to the right of the tank. Also need to find a top off container that looks better than a 5 gallon bucket. Left myself just over 12" from the wall on the right so should have room for something. Got some Algae barn startup stuff on the way. Really excited about this reef.

SynDen likes this.
  19. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Got the first frags in the tank. Shout out to aquatic art pretty serious sps selection at reasonable prices. D7C08107-CC22-4D68-A3CB-BDCE114A2CEF.jpeg E14D913C-1F95-417A-AA19-73C49A1CB57B.jpeg

20. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

looking good! any reason you went with one big heater instead of a couple smaller ones? i just set up my tank and figured a couple would be good back up.

curious if i was wrong is all. thanks and sick tank!