1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Nicky J's Reefer 250

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Nick Judson, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

2. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

added a Kamoer X1 Doser for Carbocalcium + Acropower yesterday

3. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

The tank survived mostly on autopilot while I went to the east coast for two weeks! Will get some new pics up here soon

scmountain, neil82 and CaptainJack like this.
  4. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

glad to hear!

5. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

E4B329E9-EEF5-45FC-A98E-C337CE096E16.jpeg 58EDA755-D93E-4260-B491-EA7594B66D74.jpeg 7178856C-D9C1-45DD-922F-EF54515EF874.jpeg 8449153C-228D-4E50-B766-C1E4FC618145.jpeg D8410F0F-98CB-46FC-9A2F-2E2587BF563D.jpeg

SynDen likes this.
  6. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

What should I do about this? Nem is getting big enough that some tentacles are getting sucked into the overflow.

Attached Files:

7. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

my first thought is maybe a small mesh screen over that part of the overflow? just would want to regularly clean it out i guess.

Nick Judson likes this.
  8. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I feel the mesh fine enough to stop the tentacles from getting sucked in would constantly need cleaning or look "dirty."
    But I agree block that part of the overflow weir. If it is anything like my nems it wont care about anything you do movement/flow/lighting wise

9. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

10. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Lol, that nem is just determined to do what ever it wants. Looks great though

scmountain likes this.
  11. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Seriously! I made the overflow safe for it with an old fish net so it can do its thing. Definitely the old critter in the tank that wants me to turn my lights up from 85%

scmountain and SynDen like this.
  12. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Still getting the hang of dosing All for Reef. Felt like my Alk was always a constant 7 as I ratcheted up my dosage from 10 to 25 ml/day since Dec then I got lazy about testing and killed a couple sps frags before I noticed it was 10+
    Got the tank back the 8 range after a water change and a few days of patience and turned the doser back on and gonna be testing daily.

While some frags bleached and died others had a growth spurt - my Digis in particular seemed to like the higher levels. I know some people run their tanks in that range with success. Definitely a bit puzzled where I messed up ... I thought calcium formate could only slowly raise things but it makes sense you can overdose like any other supplement.

Cherub likes this.
  13. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

0087DE28-B2ED-4AED-985D-D540C8521266.jpeg
    Nem still on the move but I hope it settles here

SynDen likes this.
  14. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Thinking I need more flow for my SPS frags to really take off but I'm happy with the direction of this tank so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colored Sticks, JodiI and SynDen like this.
  15. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Been a bit of a struggle recently but want to document the bad with the good.
    Major cyano outbreak in May and then right when I thought I had waited it out my anemone walked into the powerhead. Ended up losing my Kole tang and nem. At this point the cyano came back strong.
    Changed my RODI filters last week and am siphoning out what I can during weekly water changes.

I've been trying to avoid chemiclean and go the natural wait it out route but am now considering it. What are people's thoughts?

17. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

18. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Sorry to hear that. Darn nem!
    For the cyano, have you tried adding more flow? Sometimes that all is needs is some more flow to keep it from settling

19. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

It seems to do just fine in my highest flow areas but I think I will try more flow anyway as I have seen that advice repeatedly and my corals will like it too.
    I think the bearing is going on my current MP40 maybe I will swap in 2 nero 5s or something when it dies.

20. Nick Judson

Nick Judson Copepod

Got myself a second MP40 two weeks ago that seems to be helping. Anyone have extra clean buckets with lids? Getting ready for a move in a few weeks.
    93E51082-62A9-4F83-B2F1-F659F3EF4ACE.jpeg