? On dosing

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dose my tank with Iodine,Essential Elements,Stronium and Molybdenum,Calcium and Purple up every once in awhile is there something else I should be dosing over the counter would like to keep it easy my corals grow fine just wondering it they could grow better?

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
if you are testing for the listed items above and they need adjustment then i would recommend adding Alk and mg to your list of testings.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
dvenson;126668 said:
do not dose anything you are not testing for.

i do not test just do water changes once a week.
+1

I'd just keep up with water changes and test for calcium, alk. All of those things are easy to over do and very expensive. Really hard to over do water changes.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dvenson;126669 said:
if you are testing for the listed items above and they need adjustment then i would recommend adding Alk and mg to your list of testings.
Does mg stand for magnesium?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The church of kalkwasser is accepting of everybody, even if they came from a forum.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does your church except heathens?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
dvenson;126668 said:
do not dose anything you are not testing for.
+1

303travism;126666 said:
I dose my tank with Iodine,Essential Elements,Stronium and Molybdenum,Calcium and Purple up every once in awhile is there something else I should be dosing over the counter would like to keep it easy my corals grow fine just wondering it they could grow better?
Stick to the big three and you'll be fine...Ca, alk, and to a lesser extent, magnesium. Choose your method(s). The most common are kalkwasser, two part, and/or a calcium reactor. Here's a good article describing the options...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/chemistry

The rest of that stuff is little more than you being taken advantage of by marketing. Purple up is sand in a bottle and doesn't do anything to maintain Ca/alk. What's worse is that it can actually trick your test kits into making your useable calcium appear higher than it actually is. Ditch the Essential Elements, Strontium and Molybdenum, and do more research on the Iodine. Some of it is basically inert. Some is dangerous if slightly overdosed. Water changes will often keep up with demand to the point that you won't need to dose it anyways.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
All depends on the demand of the system. There was an article (I think by RHF) that showed the cost of using individual dosings, kalk, and a CR. If you have a small tank, it was cheaper to just dose with over the counter products. And then at some point of demand the kalk became cheaper, and then eventually the CR was the cheapest of a heavy demand tank.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's the article I linked above. The math is out-of-date though as it was made before RHF's DIY two part recipe was available. From my math, from a cost perspective, DIY two part will win everytime if you source products that have not been repackaged/marked-up for the hobby.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
miwoodar;126856 said:
That's the article I linked above. The math is out-of-date though as it was made before RHF's DIY two part recipe was available. From my math, from a cost perspective, DIY two part will win everytime if you source products that have not been repackaged/marked-up for the hobby.
Like the products in my sig?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yessir, one and the same. :) Ca/alk/mag for my 140 will run ~$20 this year.