Paintless dent repair

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone in the club do paintless dent repair? I have some light hail damage...

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could always try the hair dryer air duster trick. Works on any dents that didnt crease. Heat up the dent with a hair dryer on high for 2 min, then turn the air duster upside down and spray super cold CO2 at the dent. Pops back out on its own.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've heard this, but never tried. Anyone every try it firsthand?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive done it loads of times. so far has worked on every dent Ive tried that didnt have a crease in it. I have only tried it the doors and bumpers of a 98 corolla so i dont know if it would work on hoods or sheet metal doors. Regardless, its worth a shot and I would assume you have all the required materials already as they are common household items.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've tried it and it works OK. I've had mixed results. Honestly, the larger the dent the more luck you're likely to have with this method, so minor hail damage may not fit the bill.

FWIW, dry ice works better than the upside-down air can since you can really chill the panel all the way through instead of just the surface. You'll need to put the dry ice inside a micro-fiber cloth to protect the paint though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm trying dry ice this afternoon, thanks for the microfiber tip! I'll update my results later tonight!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, definitely let us know how it goes. After you heat up the metal, you really need to let the dry-ice sit on there for several minutes...I've popped a few out after 15-20 minutes or so. The only complaint I have is that it only popped some of them out about halfway...like the dent is much less noticeable, but it's still there. Better than nothing though and dry ice is cheap enough to give it a go before taking it to a body shop :)

I have tried the dry ice and it didn't work. I also tried it on an older dent that may have had some memory in the metal. From what I have read online (taken with a grain of salt) is that the metal will reform easier if the dent is fresh. The older it gets the less likely to return to its original form. I have rolled the fenders on my cars to fit aggressive tire sizes and heat usually was the trick. Heat will also make the paint more pliable and less likely to chip or crack when manipulating sheet metal.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, I probably should've mentioned that I did heat the panel with a hair dryer first...the rapid cooling of the hot surface is what makes it "pop" since you do need to make the metal pliable. Like I said though...mixed results...I've had it not do a thing and have had it work like a charm. "Butt marks" in the hood were no problem but a golf ball sized ding didn't budge. The hood indentation on my old Honda popped after heating then letting the dry ice just sit there for 15 minutes.

Here's a vid of it working with compressed air...which never worked for me. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, hit it with dried ice and a handheld Dewalt heater, actually took a lot of it out. I was pretty impressed! I would say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect, it started out around a 5, and is probably a 7 now.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Oh man is this your Tundra? A 5 out 10 makes is sound terrible and Im sorry to hear about this regardless of the car

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;316769 said:
Ok, hit it with dried ice and a handheld Dewalt heater, actually took a lot of it out. I was pretty impressed! I would say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect, it started out around a 5, and is probably a 7 now.
That's great news :) Glad to hear it worked fairly well for you. It's hard to get it perfect but any improvement is a welcome one!

I'm so paranoid about hail damage these days with the new car...really hoping I can find a new place with a garage ASAP!

And when you're done with the dry ice you can make some bottles go boom. Always makes me happy to blow stuff up.... (Not a future Ted Kaczynski I promise)