Ph Fluctuation

damontoy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just started using a Ph monitor and notice my levels range from about 7.8 in the am to about 8.2 in the pm. Is this normal or should i be concerned.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Be concerned if you see your livestock having issues. I have seen many tank crashes in attempt to fix pH "issues", even though everything in the tank was doing just fine. I recently added a pH probe to my tank because I added a calcium reactor. I found my pH to be all over the place, even when not runny the reactor. I have changed nothing and probably wont because everything is thriving, growing and strong. I do have to say, 10 years in the hobby with no pH probe and now that I have one and see the crazy levels, it does add a little stress even though nothing is wrong with my tank. I wish I had never added a probe in the first place, what I dont know, doesn't hurt.

Mantid;143497 said:
Be concerned if you see your livestock having issues. I have seen many tank crashes in attempt to fix pH "issues", even though everything in the tank was doing just fine. I recently added a pH probe to my tank because I added a calcium reactor. I found my pH to be all over the place, even when not runny the reactor. I have changed nothing and probably wont because everything is thriving, growing and strong. I do have to say, 10 years in the hobby with no pH probe and now that I have one and see the crazy levels, it does add a little stress even though nothing is wrong with my tank. I wish I had never added a probe in the first place, what I dont know, doesn't hurt.
I agree its pretty crazy to see how much the ph fluctuates. It kinda opens a new light on things. As long as things are good and I get used to seeing how it works I will be happy. What system or probe are you two using?

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
7.8 -8.2 is an acceptable 24hr swing but like the above folks said its all about how your livestock is doing. My tank has that exact same 7.89 to 8.19 swing in a 24hr period and my livestock is thriving....your coral will tell you if they are upset ;-)