PH question

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now that I'm dosing kalk my ph at nights drops to 7.8 and daytime comes up to 8.18 what happens when I keep it at 8.3 with the kalk, will it go higher when lights come on? Or is this an experiment to find out?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PH question

That was the problem I had with kalk as well. That's why I went back to 2 part dosing.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PH question

I've hit 8.6 briefly. It was late afternoon and I had forgotten to dose in the morning. It lasted about 2 hours. Never saw any ill effects on the corals or fishes.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you running a kalk reactor on a controller or something? If so why not set it at 8-8.1 then it should rise to about 8.3 throughout the day.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;242012 said:
Are you running a kalk reactor on a controller or something? If so why not set it at 8-8.1 then it should rise to about 8.3 throughout the day.
No I'm dripping it at night only through a brs doser. Starting out low to see how things go. Running it separate from my ato.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
^

PH that low is not much of an issue. Don't sweat it. The swing is more important than the values - higher swings are not good.

Have you done anything about the root cause of the low PH? If your system is not loaded with decaying organics, then it is likely airborne CO2. Is your tank in a basement or tight house? If so, airing out your home will really help.

Reverse light cycle fuges are safer too.

If you must dose kalk, then putting a pump on a PH controller is safer.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's a new tank, not my first or second, I'm not worried about ph, but doing it to stabilize ph and alk, also for calcium.

Acceptable pH level?

Hi,
My pH is running pretty consistantly at 7.93-7.99 for the past 36 hours. I don't know why it is this low. I have my alk running around 11, but it doesn't go up to the 8.3ish range like I expected. Salinity is 1.024. I don't have coral in the tank yet so there is no need to dose right now. Any ideas as to why it is this low, or is it safe for my livestock?
Thanks,
Brandon