possible fish load for 180

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok so i am upgrading to 180 gallon tank in a few months and i put together a list of possible fish let me know if you think it is to many fish or if i could add a few more if i wanted to later on:

2 occ clowns
3 fire fish
1 blue hippo tang
1 naso tang
1 powder blue tang
1 flame angel
1 foxface
1 mandarin dragnet
2 cleaner wrasse (not getting anymore)
2 lawnmower blenny's (not getting anymore)
2 red head solon fairy wrasse (not getting anymore)

for CuC it will be:
1 banded coral shrimp
10 snails (misc)
10 crabs (5 red 4 blue 1 emerald)
3 cleaner shrimp
i think i may need a little more for CuC i jsut want to start out with that to make sure they dont starve out

Last edited by a moderator:

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mandarin should probably go last after your tank is overflowing with pods. Naso will get too big for your tank one day - have a plan including giving the fish away for free... show/large fish are worthless to a hobbyist. Cleaner wrasses die in captivity. Lawnmowers are cool, but they move around a lot of sand that some people don't like... but you might.

You might need more like 100 snails once those fish all get in there producing N and P and growing algae - you are right to go slow. Don't forget about your peppermint shrimp, conchs or cukes, if you are into those.

IME, banded coral shrimp are a-holes. Use at your risk.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
i read up on naso and it said they needed a 180 if in like 5 or 6 years i have to sell/give away the fish so be it but i love that fish i was hoping there would be enough fish in there to keep cleaner wrasse but if they will just die no use in getting those i like the lawnmowers they clean alot so with out the cleaner wrasse do you think i could add one or two more fish and me safe? as far as the CuC goes that will increase as time goes by those were just starting numbers cause once i get my 180 ill wait a little bit make sure everything is stable then i will add slowly over a course of time starting with the peaceful fish like lawnmower blennys and add from there and in my list i had mandarin as my second to last fish to add because of the pod colony the only fish after him was the emperor angel

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol dont make fun of my lack of periods. shouldnt you be out of breath if you read that whole thing in one breath?

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
i love my corals how likely is it that a lawnmower would eat coral polyps? is there anyother types of fish that would help if i werent to get the lawnmower?

Last edited by a moderator: