Protein skimmers @ altitude

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Question....Basically my skimmer barely produces any skim mate. I think it is because of the altitute because this skimmer has only 1 thing i can adjust and that is lowering the cup...the cup is lowered as far as it can go and everything is clean pump is working just fine, the intake for the air is clear. I definately have enough bioload because for the first time since starting this hobby 2 years ago i've got an algae issue. I'm running carbon and gfo and the skimmer as well as a small refugium in the rear with chaeto. I don't feel that I'm over feeding so before everyone starts jumping on the what is the root of the cause....the root of the cause is the skimmer doesn't do it's job.

So let us focus on the getting the question about the altitude and the affects it has on the skimmer.

I've been trying to do some research because i've had so much trouble with skimmers not skimming. Below are 2 theories, you guys live up here what do you think?

Even better does anyone have an SR60 with the ghost skimmer from innovative marine? (they say this skimmer is good for the 60/80/120 and i'm using it in a 60 so i should be good for the sizing.

The protein attaches to bubbles because it wants to be part in water and part out, so amount of a specific gas doesn't matter only surface area.
I think the volume(amount of bubbles) should be the same even if there is less gas molecules in it, because the pressure is less on the water also.
So as of right now i've convinced myself, even if the air is thinner the bubbles will be the same size and amount because the air and water is under less pressure.

And the answer is.... It most definitely effects skimmer performance. It isn't about how wet or dry your skimmate is. That is a matter of adjustment. Less atmospheric pressure equals less air draw. I live at 6000 ft and have 20% less air. My skimmer pulls 20% less air.

When I got the skimmer I thought it was defective. After exstensive testing and changing... even going as far as buying the very air meter the manufactureer was using to measure with.... it pulls 20% less air than those well documented skimmers at SL.

If you are sizing your skimmer on air draw and tank size, you need to compensate for your altitude