Raising mag to kill bryopsis.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
My buddy is fighting bryopsis in his 14 gallon tank and we have come to the conclusion that we want to try raising the magnesium in the tank to kill the algae. I've never done this method before so wondering who has and what do you recommend. How high should we raise it and how long? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you raise mag by more than 100 a day you can cause problems with your critters. I have used many different forms to raise mag with good results for problem algae. I personally use usp grade epsom salts following randy holmes farely 2 part. Kent tech m contains more copper than most other brands.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used tech m, raised to 2500 for more than a month. Didn't help alone, still had to Manually remove and bought a ton of snails. Although the chart at the bottom doesn't mention brysis, I got the ones for hair algea, and firmly got rid of it. I think raising ph to 8.5 helped a lot, more than the tech m. I also started to dose kalc, and ever since no more brysis. https://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/whats-the-best-snail-for-a-reef-tank/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the tech m technique a couple times and it has worked well, I have never raised it more than a 100 ppm a day though. I believe magnesium levels can get extrodanarily high without any negative effects on other organisms. I read of someone raising it to 3200 ppm in one day, and while I would never do that, supposedly he had no issues. It's also important to watch your salinity while doing this. I did read that Bulk Reef Supply's magnesium will have a similar effect on the bryopsis, but I have not tested this.