1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

RO water effect on copper pipe sodder

Discussion in 'Tank Chemistry' started by Tony44, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Tony44

Tony44 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a friend who was told that RO water would dissolve the sodder (sp) in copper pipe joints. Anyone else heard this I can't believe it's true.

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Your friend is correct. Even tap water corrodes copper and solder to a very small degree, but since it has a higher pH and lower soluability the effect takes decades to have any real effect. RODI water has a lower pH and also is stripped of dissolved solids, which makes it much more corrosive than tap water (albeit significantly less so than saltwater). If you want a whole home RO, pex should be used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Why would RO water be in your pipes?

You solder copper pipes with silver solider... there are no soft metals in that, like lead.

4. Tony44

Tony44 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks. I always used lead core solder. Now with shark bite fittings don't need to sweat fittings anymore.