RODI question

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So my tank hasn't been looking the best I think due to phosphates but I haven't tested due to all the other issues I've been having. One of the things I decided to address was my RODI filters. The sediment filter was a lovely orange color as was the DI resin. I didn't know that I had a color changing resin until I read the directions (imagine that it was in there) and found out it was time to change it. Long story short my TDS on the RODI went from 8 to 0 immediately. The question I have is I saw that the Northies were putting together a resin purchase and was wondering if I could just replace the resin in the DI unit and the carbon in the carbon unit? The other question is how often do these typically need to be changed? My lasted shy of a year and is that too long or not long enough? I have an Air Water Ice Typhoon III that does 150 gallons per day.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I change my resin in 25 to 30 days!! My sediment filter is at 1 micron and carbons are 5 micron and .6 micron I change them when the reading gets to 30 before the di resin. I keep my reading 0 to 1 out of the di unit. Have you seen the recent video from BRS on CO2 on its effect on resin I checked my water but it was very low at 2-3? I am on well water here in Elizabeth.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Now that I know it changes colors I may be changing it more often.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I change my carbon filters every 4 -6 months, and probably change my sediment filter every 4-6 weeks when it starts to get a rust color to it. I run double DI's with color changing resin, so I run my first resin can until I start to get a noticeable color change in the second can. I move the second can to the first can position and put the fresh one in the second position. You get full use of your DI that way, without having to watch your tds meter. Brighton water seems to be quite a bit worse in the summer than winter, and my resin change will vary from 2-6 months.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I change my carbon and micron filter when tds starts to go up, usually when it hits around 2, this seems to happen around the 6 month mark. As for resin I change it when after replacing the micron and carbon and the tds is still slightly elevated, this typically occurs a little after a year. How often you change can really depend on the amount of TDS in the tap water and also how much water you are running through the rodi. Since I only have a 75g I don't run nearly as much water as you would for your tank.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So now I know where the cyano is coming from and that I need to change those much more frequently.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Tested phosphates and they were high still. Changed out my phosguard and did a second water change this week. I'm planning on changing out 25 gallons a day until they're gone.