Rodi

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I live out near glenwood springs, the water is hard and has a lot of minerals saturated into it.
Should I get a 5-stage rodi or a 6-stage? I was confused on the difference.
Setting up an sps tank and an anemone tank if that makes a difference. Thanks!

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Generally speaking, the 6th stage is an extra DI Resin chamber to remove more TDS. I don't believe that it will necessarily give you better quality output, but your maintenance period will be further apart as the resin will last longer.

Shawn

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;345678 said:
Generally speaking, the 6th stage is an extra DI Resin chamber to remove more TDS. I don't believe that it will necessarily give you better quality output, but your maintenance period will be further apart as the resin will last longer.

Shawn
Thanks!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
5 stage vs 6 stage is subjective depending on where you need/want an extra stage. In my opinion you don't need a 6 stage unless you have a lot of chlorine or chloramine in the water. Especially if you have chloramine you should add an additional carbon stage. When it comes to DI. You don't need two but is nice to have a worker and a polisher. When your worker is exhausted move the polisher to the worker position and replace the polisher. Dual DI will pretty much guarantee nothing slips by.

if you have hard water you probably want something with a booster pump as ro membranes work better under higher pressure and in general can produce more. You will also want either a manual or auto flush to keep scale from building up on the membrane. This is particularly important with hard water. An adjustable restrictor valve is also a plus so you have the ability to adjust the waste to product ratio. For really hard water you will get longer life out of the membrane by reducing the product to waste ratio. You will get more waste however.

the one I have for sale would work really well for you and I'm not just saying that. It's a good system all around. Although the booster pump it comes with is not the best around in terms of overall reliability but I do have an extra one to go with it if the first one has any issues.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;345711 said:
5 stage vs 6 stage is subjective depending on where you need/want an extra stage. In my opinion you don't need a 6 stage unless you have a lot of chlorine or chloramine in the water. Especially if you have chloramine you should add an additional carbon stage. When it comes to DI. You don't need two but is nice to have a worker and a polisher. When your worker is exhausted move the polisher to the worker position and replace the polisher. Dual DI will pretty much guarantee nothing slips by.

if you have hard water you probably want something with a booster pump as ro membranes work better under higher pressure and in general can produce more. You will also want either a manual or auto flush to keep scale from building up on the membrane. This is particularly important with hard water. An adjustable restrictor valve is also a plus so you have the ability to adjust the waste to product ratio. For really hard water you will get longer life out of the membrane by reducing the product to waste ratio. You will get more waste however.

This is spot on!