Skimmer pump upgrades

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was toying with a better pump for my g3 anyone have thoughts on good pumps or what works. I was considering one of the diablo pumps. Just unsure if how to match them up.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Sedra is fine. Sicce, diablo, eheim, bubble blaster all have about the same needle wheel and venturi. Some of them, like the diablo, have too much air IMO and probably won't skim as well as the Sedra**. Red Dragon is an upgrade, IMO.

Do you have the Sedra 3500 or the 5000? You could try the 5000 if you don't have it already.

I would just keep it clean and keep the debris out of the needle wheel.

I have enkamat that I can mail you if you want to try a meshwheel. I found them to be a complete pain in the rear with high failure rates, but some people really like them. I can get some to you for .46 in an envelope if you send me your address. A friend of mine wrapped fishing line all around his pins and then super glued them shut - this lasted for years and years, but we still don't know if it performed any better.

I modified my G4 to recirculate, but I don't think that it skimmed any better because of it. You could try this and feed it with a maxi jet, or something.

** I recently got a 12" body DC Diablo skimmer and I have been totally unimpressed with how well it skimmed. It gets it's azz whooped by a 10+ year old EuroReef 12-2 with the old sedra pumps. I was chatting with a friend of mine on RC and he thought that they had too much air intake leading to too many bursting bubbles. I somewhat blocked the air input to the silencer and the skim mate has increased.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I believe it's the 5000 but guess I have to double check I just need it to be reliable and start back when the power is turned off. I kind of figure I would see if upgrading the pump was a better idea.