SLewis 1st nano, need sugestions.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 11560 Here is the Photo of my Store showcases where i am going to add my first nano tank. I have never done a nano build before, my smallest tank i have ever owned was 75g. This tank was going to be used for an qt , but my wife and i both bought a qt the same day for use as a qt so we are now going to make this one a tank for my store.
i need suggestions on what equipment to go with, i am trying to stay a little on the cheap side on this one...(lol)

what i need help deciding.

Filtration: not sure what is best i have so many options what has worked the best for you?
Lights: i have a coralife fixture for it but is it what i want/need ?

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If your looking for the "best" filtration, it may entail drilling your tank and placing a sump/refugium underneath. If the stand its on is hollow, you could just use pvc tubing to run it under the tank. That way you could run a skimmer (if needed), chaeto, etc and increase the volume of your system. May be more than you want to do but likely be more stable. Alternative is lots of live rock in the display +/- a hang on back canister filter but not as good in my opinion.

As for lighting, part depends on what you want to grow/have in your tank, i.e. fish only/live rock, if you want corals, etc. Is the coralife T5s? If so, how old are the bulbs. T5/power compacts are okay for most basic corals in a shallow tank, may need to adjust the position of the corals depending on flow/light requirements. There is always upgrade options for lighting but you said you wanted to stay on the cheap.
Just my 2 cents worth.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
the lighhting fixture i have is rated 120 VAC, 60 HZ, 17w. and came with a 18 inch 15w 120v t8 (8000k full spectrum) bulb. I had planned on doing a couple corals and an anemone, With the usual cuc and a couple clowns untill they get too big for the 20 and then i will move them to my bigger tank. is this light sufficient or overkill? I just cant seem to comprehend lighting maybe i got a defunctional brain lol.

I decided i am going to drill my 20g and put a sump under the shelf its on. and the sump i am planning on going with a 10g because it will be the best fit. I will drill it this week sometime hopefully (if the back will quit hurting and cooperate with me) also i will take pics and possibly a video of my triumph or failure lol.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;224003 said:
Won't the blue light distort how the jewelry(?) actually looks?
Some diamonds flouresce... but shouldn't be a problem. Everyone tries diamonds on before buying, and the tank light won't affect them once they're on the person's hand unless they stick their hand right next to the tank.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
normally the light from the tank would, but I have "spot lights" in the show cases that enhance the jewelry while in th display cases.