Slugs intro

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
My wife and I are fired up to go to the meeting this weekend and I thought I would do a short writeup about us and our system prior so you can get a rough idea of who we are. My name is Chris and my wife is Christie. My university's (UC Santa Cruz) mascot is the Fighting Banana Slug, hence the "goslugsgo" moniker.

The tank: the main display is a 65 wide, which is essentially a standard 65 gallon tank laid on its side. The footprint is 24" X 36", with 18" of depth. I really like the wide style, as it provides options other than the standard vertical rock stack. Also, the system is set up in a "peninsula" configuration which allows me to really take advantage of the format. The tank was initially set up about four years ago and for two years performed well as I wandered along the saltwater learning curve. Unfortunately, as my business started to take off two years ago, less and less attention was paid to the tank. During that time period I installed AI Sol Blue LED lights, but didn't know enough about the acclimation process so the lights (along with admittedly poor husbandry practices) torched all of the coral, save a few pink zoas and GSPs. As for the fish, the count initially included two black and white ocellaris; two orchid dottybacks; and two striped blennies, of which both clowns and one dottyback remain.

The tank is currently enjoying its renaissance, with parameters in check and a new coral encrusting happily. We're looking forward to restocking with some frags from AA at the meeting and getting to know some of you fine folks!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just gotta ask, tho...
Fighting Banana Slugs???
I'd have totally gone to UCSC if I'd have known y'all had THAT mascot. :rofl:

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome from the folks at Great White Aquatics in FOCO.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Was nice to meet you this past Sunday at Aquatic Art, glad you joined us!!

You get any pics for us yet?

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to meet all of you guys as well.
I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure it out again! We had a rough few days, what with water chemistry issues and our first addition fish jumping during a water change and not finding her until it was too late.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about the jumper.

I am living in fear of my new Lawn Mower Blenny finding a hole I did not properly seal. He is so hard to spot when hiding in the rocks that I keep checking the overflows, top, and behind the tank if it takes me more than a few minutes to spot him.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
When I get home I will post a pic of my tank screens. They're the best solution I've seen yet for jumpers.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I looked at making normal screens, but I have a full canopy. I lined the back of the canopy with gutter guard down to water level, and covered both overflows with gutter guard as well. My biggest concern is that he jumps on top of the gutter guard, or the very wide glass center support on this tank.

That center support is a good 8 inches wide on this 150g.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;274412 said:
I looked at making normal screens, but I have a full canopy. I lined the back of the canopy with gutter guard down to water level, and covered both overflows with gutter guard as well. My biggest concern is that he jumps on top of the gutter guard, or the very wide glass center support on this tank. That center support is a good 8 inches wide on this 150g.
yes, that'd be possible. Usually it's the first couple weeks that it's an issue. Stress makes them jump. Once they settle in, they're usually fine. Usually.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. She was with us for 4 1/2 years so not only are we surprised, we're pretty bummed out.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The setup:

Basement mixing station. I can flip a valve in the stand and change water goes straight into the house sewer system, then flip a switch and SW is pumped from the basement into the sump:

Tank shot: