Snowflake Moray Eel

Hey guys,
I have a 30 gallon nano cube and was wondering if a snowflake eel would do. Well in it? I have 2 clowns and a damsel as well as about 10 hermits and 10 snail and an emerald. As well as a cleaner shrimp and urchin. What would he kill and what would he leave alone? If anyone has had these there input would be greatly appreciated because I'm heavily debating this move.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would not be a good choice for that size tank. Eels get very large and very aggressive

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;269662 said:
That would not be a good choice for that size tank. Eels get very large and very aggressive

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
+1

They get approx 2 feet long, and would eat everything listed except the urchin and the cleanup crew, unless your clowns are fully grown maroon clowns. If that's the case, your tank is fully stocked.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
If you really want a moray look for a Golden dwarf moray eel they stay super small and would only be a threat to tiny gobies and the like.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
And are also pretty expensive sadly.

To me sounds like you are already pretty fully stocked. Another smallish fish that won't get bullied by the damsel and clowns hopefully. Maybe another invert of some sort.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
snowflake eels are verry aggressive in small tanks from my experience.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
These are pebble toothed eels and are nothing like fang toothed moray eels, although they are oftentimes confused.

These are very docile for morays, but 30G is probably too small. I have never had a pebbletoothed eel eat a fish, but some have, especially the snowflakes if they are in small tanks without too many really good places to live, like in a real reef. Some people will report that their snowflakes are excellent reef citizens. You will see golden dwarfs, chain link and zebras in reefs and even pictures of cleaner shrimp in their mouths cleaning them. They will decimate shelled crabs (not hermits) and can get quite rowdy and clumsy during feeding.

I had a pair of golden dwarfs for years and they were not interested in anything by mysis and chopped up squid/fish/shrimp. I had a zebra that was the same way, but it was about 2 feet long.

They are all good escape artists and need a super-tight fitting lid.

Here is a good article on them:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/