1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

So... I’m pretty stupid

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Dr.DiSilicate, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I was messing around with some equipment yesterday. I guess I was a bit careless when I placed the fan I use for cooling back onto my sump.

Sooo.... you guessed it! It fell into the tank. The apex power strip didn’t trip???

To add insult to injury it landed on my auto top off float switch which added 15 gallons of water to the tank.

Anyway. My corals are not happy. Just a cautionary tail. If you know you are doing something stupid, and you can see things going badly, even if you have been doing it forever with no issues... fix the stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Haddonisreef and jda123 like this.
  2. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

damn I'm sorry to hear! If you need more hornets let me know

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Thanks! The zoanthids all look fine. Maybe a bit closed but mostly good.

4. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

DOH! Been there before. Hope everything makes it through :praying::praying:

5. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

My stupidity usually involved water on floors... And I'm not talking about small spills

Cherub likes this.
  6. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I HATE it when I'm stupid, only worse when my wife points it out to me all the time. Hope you have a speedy coral recovery. Do you think the corals are upset from the 15g of RODI, or do you think they were electrified a little?

7. Dr.DiSilicate

Pretty sure the current in the water caused the problems. The salinity didn’t change much.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  8. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Dam mike pretty sure I told you something about this when we were at your house a few weeks ago! Just saying

Dr.DiSilicate and JuanGutz like this.
  9. Dr.DiSilicate

Ummm.

JuanGutz and Haddonisreef like this.
  10. Dr.DiSilicate

So after a couple days and a decent 10% water change things don’t look worse. polyps are out so hopefully things will all recover. I also shortened the light cycle. I figure that the corals need a bit of time to recover before they are blasted with light.

11. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Good to hear that things aren’t worse

12. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Good to hear! I’ve got your blue tort growing out in my display if you ever need some back. Also have some of the ice/fire I promised you when you’re ready.

13. Dr.DiSilicate

So after this happened I did a small water change and have kept my hands out of the tank. I also turned the lights way down and have been slowly adding time back. I was worried about burning the struggling corals. I have also very closely monitored the alk consumption and kept it very stable.

I’m happy to say that things are bouncing back! It’s slow progress but noticeable!

Cake_Boss, SynDen and Cherub like this.
  14. CrashReef

CrashReef Copepod

I recently had a ATO pump fail. Long story short, I never checked in on my tank and my return ran dryish, shooting micro bubbles everywhere. Which caused my skimmer to go crazy and overflow. Dropping 3 weeks of nasty skim sludge into the system. Caused a mega-cycle, dropped the oxygen from the bacteria bloom. Killed ALL my fish.

Luckily my corals and inverts all lived like champs. I now have a fishless reef tank with nems, snails, sps, urchins, shrimps and crabs :(

We all make mistakes unforunately