Something wrong with my hammer coral

That's good to know. I bought a box that has 200 gallons worth so I don't have the funds currently to fork out 60 bucks. What do you guys use?

Also, just wanted to say I have only been dosing for 3 weeks. My tank was losing a battle with hair algae and the vodka actually helped a million times over. My dose is only .3 ml, and I might continually ween it down but I've researched it a lot.
My refractometer was calibrated yesterday when I had checked. I'll do another water change soon, and top off with more salt water instead of RO so I don't dilute it down.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You shouldn't be topping off with salt water. Once your salinity is set, you should be able to only add RO to keep it inline.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;334595 said:
You shouldn't be topping off with salt water. Once your salinity is set, you should be able to only add RO to keep it inline.
I think she means just to get it back to the correct level. Perhaps a water change with low salinity water thru it off.
An ATO device will help keep your salinity stabile. I highly recommend getting one if you don't have it already.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get the salinity up and then check the other parameters - they will have likely gone up too.

If you want to starve the hair algae, you will starve the coral too. If you want to continue to dose the organic carbon, then you might consider waiting to add any coral. Is your tank new(er)? If so, then nuisance algae is part of the deal in the first year, or so.

The tank is a year old, in a previous comment to this I had put that I broke some rocks to make them fit better and it caused a huge hair algae outbreak. So don't break rocks. Haha I didn't think of the consequences.
When I was starving the algae there was no longer any corals in there to harm. From a huge article I read vodka dosing isn't bad for corals, I can post the link.
And yes I mean topping off with salt water just to raise the salinity, I definitely don't do that otherwise.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think once you have all your other prams in check and holding stead you will see a huge difference. I would not carbon dose unless tank was well established and you had significant need to. Just normal steady prams will yeild great results

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would cut in half for a couple weeks, then in half again for a couple weeks, then cut it out all together or keep at 1/4 of what you ae doing now. IMO carbon dosing does more harm than good unless you are doing an sps only tank and arent running an adequately sized refugium.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. They'll take hold naturally, but it'll take a minute or two.