Springeri Damsel with white spots at base of left pectoral fin

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 18477 View attachment 18478

Is this anything to worry about? Possible ich? I have had this fish for 10 days and never noticed it until yesterday. Today it appears the same. The white spots are about the size of two specs of sand. When you look at the fish head on, you can see that the area at the base of the left pectoral fin is enlarged / irritated looking. Could it just be a scratch?

I don't have a fancy camera setup so near impossible to get better photos. This is the result of an hour trying to get a picture :).

There was a little stress with the move as it took a few days to come out of hiding and while the water parameters have been testing perfect consistently, something was happening causing the green algae outbreak that now seems to be under control. Tank is now about 45 days old.

Setup:
TANK: JBJ 28g Nano setup early February, 40+ lb mix of dry/live rock, 30 lb. live sand, AquaMaxx HOB-1 added a couple days ago
CORAL: zoas, frogspawn, hammer, duncan
LIVESTOCK: clean-up crew, Maroon Clownfish (first added), Watchman Goby, Springeri Damsel.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm pretty confident it isn't sand. A week has gone by and now it looks better. Still noticeable but not as bad. Probably nothing to be worried about since it is getting better.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How is the agression of that damsel? Ive always wanted one of those cause their color is amazing, but Ive been scared away from any damsel after reading forums.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So far, my fish have all been getting along well (as far as I can see). The damsel and the clownfish are aggressive at feeding time and the goby joins in as well but hangs out more at the bottom for the stuff that gets past them. While I've seen the damsel get chased off a couple times by the clown, I've never seen the damsel do anything aggressive toward others...yet. I have read that Damsels can be aggressive about their territory if they are the first fish added so he was the last (3rd) fish I added to my tank.

I'm happy with the mix of fish so plan to keep it this way for long time. I'm still too new to saltwater to have a good understanding of what an appropriate amount of fish is for a tank of my size (28g), so I'll keep it as is for forseeable future.