Stocking choices

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I am wanting to add a few more fish to my tank but a bit undecided which ones to add. Current stock list is:

Two Spot bristle tooth
Engineer goby
Black cap jawfish
1 blue green chromis
2 occelaris
3 lyretail anthias

I would like to add 2 wrasses and potentially one more tang. I know I will be pushing my limits with the other tang so may not add that one in the end, but would really like another one.
As for the wrasses I am undecided between 3 types, flasher, fairy or leopard. I really love the leopards but very leery of the "expert only" label that comes with them, so hoping someone with experience with them can chime in on things to do with to ensure their survival, especially in regards to their feeding habits. The flasher and fairy wrasses I am confident that I will have no trouble with them as long as I can find some nice healthy specimens but really I would to add a fairy and leopard instead of the flasher..

As for the tang goes, I am really in love with the white cheek tang (Acanthurus nigricans) and also the purple tang, although I know my tank borders on being to small for these guys. I also know the purple can become quite aggressive as it gets older, especially in a smaller tank, so I'm leaning toward a whitecheek. Anyone have experience with these guys? I know they kind of fall in with the other powder tangs which means they can be more prone to ich and other diseases, but pretty sure I can keep that in check as I feed 2-3 times a day with garlic and selcon soaked foods. But I have also never seen one in stores so finding one may be an issue too

Thoughts?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO...go with a fairy wrasse pair. The males will display brighter colors when paired and the interaction between the 2 fish is great. I really wanted to go that route when I picked up my red velvet fairy...but just haven't come across a female.

They're hard to find...but I know Capp occasionally gets paired wrasses, and I do see them on divers den somewhat regularly.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well ya originally I wanted a harem of flasher wrasses, but can only ever find males and need to add the females first or at the same time as the male and the same issue seems to be with all the wrasses I like. Not sure why we only see males all the time. i know the female generally arent as brightly colored as the males, but you cant get the most out of the male without the females. I see lots of people looking for females and males together but have the same issue

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;312961 said:
Well ya originally I wanted a harem of flasher wrasses, but can only ever find males and need to add the females first or at the same time as the male and the same issue seems to be with all the wrasses I like. Not sure why we only see males all the time. i know the female generally arent as brightly colored as the males, but you cant get the most out of the male without the females. I see lots of people looking for females and males together but have the same issue
I asked LiveAquaria this. They said if I was serious about it they would ask their divers to collect a harem. The price tag was a bit out of my price range though. They also recommended a 250g or larger with plenty of places to hide.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya I really like the scotts fairys, if I can find a trio of those I would certainly go for them. Although he other are very nice too but all well out of my price range I think.
Know anyone local that would carry a trio of Juvin Scott's fairy wrasses? or is ordering them from liveaquaria the best option?

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll have to look to see if I can find the reference, but I believe that many types of flasher wrasses will react to the presence of a group of anthias and flash as if it were trying to impress females. My mccoskers has very vibrant colors and flashes at my lyretail anthias all the time.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;312992 said:
ya I really like the scotts fairys, if I can find a trio of those I would certainly go for them. Although he other are very nice too but all well out of my price range I think.
Know anyone local that would carry a trio of Juvin Scott's fairy wrasses? or is ordering them from liveaquaria the best option?
I bought mine from Vince. This was a while ago

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
kyuubichan218;313003 said:
I'll have to look to see if I can find the reference, but I believe that many types of flasher wrasses will react to the presence of a group of anthias and flash as if it were trying to impress females. My mccoskers has very vibrant colors and flashes at my lyretail anthias all the time.

Hmm thats kind of interesting, hadnt heard that before. might make things easier depending on what I decide to go with

Cake_Boss;313004 said:
I bought mine from Vince. This was a while ago
Well that s a drive for me, but if I cant find others I think it would worth it if he can get them for me.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kyuubichan218;313003 said:

Interesting you mention this...

My red velvet fairy wrasse used to flash at my bartlett's anthias trio all the time...I since lost them to an infection, and now he flashes at the yellow coris wrasse in the tank. He's maintained a lot of color that I expected him to lose after picking him up. It's nice to know that they may be easily fooled :)

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;313023 said:
It's nice to know that they may be easily fooled :)
You arent kidding. My carpenter has flashed just about every inhabitant of my tank that is even slightly similar to a wrasse. Does it to my melanarus all the time, sometimes does it to my chromis and basslet, and has even done it to my clowns a few times (though that might have been terretorial). They are like a nerdy man in a nursing school, lol.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;313042 said:
You arent kidding. My carpenter has flashed just about every inhabitant of my tank that is even slightly similar to a wrasse. Does it to my melanarus all the time, sometimes does it to my chromis and basslet, and has even done it to my clowns a few times (though that might have been terretorial). They are like a nerdy man in a nursing school, lol.
lol, so just about how I would be in a nursing school :p

So how bout the tang? Anyone kept a white cheek or have any experience with them? or for that mater seen one in a store or available anywhere?

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
You are more than welcome to come check out our display tank. We currently have a flame, lineatus, rhomboid, red velvet, ruby head, choati, black leopard, and leopard. I personally am a wrasse junky and try to stock as many as possible. If I can be of assistance, please let me know. We can also bring in whatever you are looking for.
As far as the tang goes...yes we see them. They can be a little tricky because they reside in the same subspecies as the powders, Achilles, etc. I am happy to help in whatever way I can.

SynDen;313066 said:
lol, so just about how I would be in a nursing school :p

So how bout the tang? Anyone kept a white cheek or have any experience with them? or for that mater seen one in a store or available anywhere?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
FluidDesigners;313106 said:
You are more than welcome to come check out our display tank. We currently have a flame, lineatus, rhomboid, red velvet, ruby head, choati, black leopard, and leopard. I personally am a wrasse junky and try to stock as many as possible. If I can be of assistance, please let me know. We can also bring in whatever you are looking for.
As far as the tang goes...yes we see them. They can be a little tricky because they reside in the same subspecies as the powders, Achilles, etc. I am happy to help in whatever way I can.
Good to know. Ya I have seen your wrasses and they are very nice. Good to know you can order some in I may have to take you up on that.
Ya I know the white cheek falls in with the powders, making them more susceptible to disease and such, So I will be approaching that one last and with a fair amount of caution if I decide to go that route. They are such beautiful looking fish though bu I have rarely seen them in anyone's tanks